MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:05 PM

Source for 3/8+ stainless blade material

First off, I hope this is the right section to ask - but I would like to try my hand at making a milled integral. However I havent been able to find any stainless steel thicker than 1/4. Can anybody point me in the right direction to find a piece of: cpm154, s30v, elmax, bg42, rwl-34 or something similar (at this point Im not too picky).

I appreciate your time, and again please forgive me if this is not appropriate to ask here.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Skilled

http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/shop/cpm-s30-v/

http://newjerseysteelbaron.com/shop/440-c/
Old 09-22-2018, 06:55 AM
Guru

Location: putnam county NY ....about 45 mins north of new york city
new jersey steel barron I don't think has all those i always look for them first because they are good guys over there and i like in NY so i get the steel usually in 1 day but they don't have everything i use so i go to alpha for the rest a lot of the time they have a lot of sizes too

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/sho...lade-materials
Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 AM
Guru

Cincinatti Tool Steel carries material 3/8" and 1/2"

I know they carry L6 that thick and they will shear it to size too. NJSB gets his L6 from them would be my guess. They carry D2 and A2 as well as round stock 1" and 2" diameter.
You also might try a shock resistant steel called S5 which with an oil quench comes in at Rc65 tempered for two hours at 400 for Rc60 hardness. It can also be water quenched too they claim.

They also carry a high tungsten high carbon steel called T15 that has 12% tungsten and 5% cobalt and a whopping 5% vanadium. Talk about your super steels! They have heat treat data for all the alloys they carry.
C Cr Mo W Co V
1.5 5 4.0 12 5.0 5.0

http://cintool.com/ This is their web site also they have several locations so call the closest one to you. I have found them to be friendly and their shipping rate last year was a flat $20 no matter how little or large your order.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:18 PM

Thanks gentlemen - Being Canadian I always buy my steel from the same two suppliers. All these suppliers you're giving me are new to me so I appreciate the help. I will do some poking around on their websites.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 PM
Guru

Double Gun D2 is the equivalent to stainless by the way. I didn't know you are in Canada, shipping may be prohibiting expensive because of the value added tax on imports. Check with the Cin. Tool company and see if they have a distributor up there.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:04 PM

Thanks Jim,
And yes many of these type places want to ship via courier like ups or fedex which hammer us with brokerage fees at the border. So if I wasnt asking enough already, Im hoping to find a company willing to ship in the mail (plain old USPS).

Josh
Old 09-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Guru

Double Gun, Cin. tool can cut to size, did you call them and ask about using USPS?
Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 AM
Guru

Location: putnam county NY ....about 45 mins north of new york city
just a touch on what you said jim D2 is "almost" stainless I have heard it argued that it can go either way but most of the guys that have been doing this for a long time (probilly the length I have be alive) have all told me to think of it as a middle ground and most supply sites don't list it as stainless...but that all being said I personally have never used it just what I was told
Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Guru

Dave, D2 is not technically stainless as it has to have 13% chrome to be called stainless according to the Society of Automotive Engineers or SAE, but it does have 11% Cr and insofar as resistance to rust is concerned it is the equivalent. It isn't going to rust, but keep in mind that A2 tool steel is only 5 % Cr and it doesn't rust very easily at all either, same for Bark River CPM 3V users all think their knife is stainless when it is only 7% Cr.

Actually even a true stainless steel like 440C or S35VN will rust under the right circumstances, for example if one had a sheath made from chrome tanned leather and stored their expensive S35VN knife in it, eventually the chromic acid in the leather would pit the blade, which is why all sheaths should be veg tanned leather, kydex or ballistic nylon. It's why I use veg tanned leather for all my sheaths, no exceptions, besides it can be tooled into nice designs.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:47 PM

I havent called yet, I found a tool and did place that sells D2 in 18 lengths and will ship usps but Im still looking around for all my options.

I appreciate the info on the different tanning methods for sheath use - good info.

Tags
a, bee, blade, ca, carbon, cpm, flat, hammer, hand, heat, heat treat, integral, knife, making, material, materials, quenched, s30v, shop, stainless, stainless steel, steel, supply, tool steel, water