MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-14-2003, 08:22 AM

Kydex & PayPal

Does anyone know any suppliers who sell Kydex who accept Paypal? I've looked all over the net and all of knife supply sites only accept credit cards. Also... I've seen the rivet press that Knife Kits sells. Anyone know of a place where I can purchase the simple kit where you just use a hammer to set the rivets?

Old 04-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Hall of Famer

paypal is on the road down the tubes for knife stuff, derrell - not pc, you know. :evil
one of our sponsors, texas knifemaker supply has snapsets you can use for kydex rivets. click on the link, then click on Kydex Rivet Flaring Press and scroll down the page. nice thing about the press, though (assuming you are into semi-production to justify the cost) is that it rolls the back edge of the rivet instead of splitting and smashing it. you can also use chicago screws for a much nicer job that would still not require expensive tooling (screwdriver).

Last edited by whv; 04-15-2003 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:58 PM

Thanks Wayne. I really REALLY like PayPal! It's safe and I don't have to give out my credit card #'s. I trust the people I buy from but I don't trust giving out card numbers on the net. I spent some time helping to run a large LAN organization..... I've seen hackers do things on PC's that would make your hair stand up.

Looks like I'll just have to go with a money order or send a check.

Old 04-15-2003, 10:49 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I've never worried about giving out my CC number over the 'net to a trusted seller. A hacker intercepting my CC# would be next to impossible, as the hacker would have to know that I was sending my CC#, the exact time, and which internet "pipe" the number was being carried over. Some worry that a hacker will capture all data on the pipe and pick out the CC#. Well, I suppose it's possible, but not worth the trouble for the hacker. If he's that smart, he's either working for the guv'mit, or diverting Bill Gates' stock dividends to an offshore account. (Hmmm..... )

If you find a supplier that accepts credit cards, don't be afraid to use your card over the net. It's safer than giving it to your server in a restaurant or inserting it into an ATM. (Really. I heard on the radio today that there are devices that people can put on an ATM that will read your card and save an image of it. There's also a thin, transparent membrane that they put over the keypad to capture your PIN. Dirty theives.)

And welcome to the CKD.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 04-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Administrator

If you see a secure lock in the browser window and the 64 bit encryption certificate is valid, you have no cause to worry. I'm sure you've see your share of violated LAN networks, but I'd be willing to bet you've never heard of a military grade encryption breach. The only thing you have to worry about with a credit card transaction online, assuming the seller has their SSL and gateway ducks in a row, is the seller themselves.

Your card number is a lot more likely to be stolen from a receipt at a gas station or other hand-to-hand transaction method. This is a documented fact. The only advantage the internet gives a crook is a place to use it without having the card physically in their hand ... unless you're buying from a party that is a scam artist to begin with. 99% of the credit card violations you hear about involving the internet is a person using a stolen card, not someone stealing cards.

In fact, your card information is already being passed across the internet! This applies to everyone, whether you think you're using the internet or not. Where do you think the merchant terminal passes the data to the gateway, then to the merchant bank from? Paypal is just a gateway ... that happens to be a bank and merchant system ... all in one!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
blade, knife