MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:00 AM
Skilled

Heat Treatment of Cable Damascus and Patterning

I was talking to someone about patterning in Cable and how heat treatment effects it. I thought I'd show this for you guys wanting to use cable. It will tell you if it hasn't been fully hardened or over tempered. The first knife if fully hardened, second is edge hardened and the third somehow slipped past heat treatment. The final pic is the last knife heat treated.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 AM
Guru

Very cool I can see the difference clearly...now I know what you were talking about even tho I want to make a guard it will be hardened.... All Damascus looks better after hardened I think but it seems with cable it is even more of a difference than regular Damascus. thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Skilled

So..these are NOT etched?
And if not would etching bring out the pattern for instance, across the whole blade like the one shown that is edge hardened?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC Goater View Post
So..these are NOT etched?
And if not would etching bring out the pattern for instance, across the whole blade like the one shown that is edge hardened?
They are etched. Following heat treat and tempering the blades are taken to a 600 grit then given 2 etching cycles (in this case together) for 20 minutes. The top blade etched out deeply, the bottom came out muddy because it wasn't hardened. The center was edge hardened, you can see the etching difference.

Tags
bee, blade, blades, case, damascus, edge, etched, etching, first knife, guard, heat, heat treat, heat treatment, knife, make, pattern, show