MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Steel Addict

Boy Scouts of America

I was aproached by the mother of a boy scout the other day, who asked if I would be up to making her son a lock back as he just recieved his badge. I pollitly declined as I have not yet reached that milestone in my knifemaking career. I did ask if she was sure that he was able to have a lock back knife. She assured me it was and then she thought it was and then she didnt know.

I used to be a scout many years ago went from cub to eagle scout. And I cant for the life of me remeber a time that it was okay for a scout to carry a lock back, we had the run of the mill on slipjoints but nothing locking.
Maybe it was just our troop any others with knowledge on this?

One of these years it be nice to have a group of scouts over to the shop and maybe do some assembling of a pocket knife of their own. Seems like a good experience and intro to this hobby eh

/cheers

Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Hall of Famer

You could always suggest to her a knife kit. . .

Though in this day and age, if a boy scout were discovered making a knife he'd likely be thrown out. . .
Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Hall of Famer

James, are you confusing a lockback with a button lock? There's nothing unlawful about a lockback.

One of the first was the Buck Folding Hunter.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Steel Addict

I was not refering to illegal as in against the law as we know it just the BSA's laws to carry knives on events to camp etc..

As far as Buttonlock vrs lock back Thanks DON way to throw another wrench into my learning curve I assumed they both "locked: time to hit the books again.

HAH Armory no doubt, hate to see what the intenerary is at summer camps now.. When I went we shot skeet whittled wood, learned to swim, basic first aide compllete with **Gasp CPR..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
I remember the rule that sheath knives were not allowed in many councils, but lock backs were "the" knife to have when I was a scout, and yes the Buck 110 was at the top of the heap!

God Bless
Mike

Old 07-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Steel Addict

Folders are fine,no fixed blades.My oldest boy just got his Eagle about six months ago, my youngest is getting ready to start on his Eagle. Last winter I taught the troop the leather working merit badge.This winter we are going to do the metal working badge. It's a lot of fun working with the boys, and if you are lucky you just may spark an interest in one or two of the boys. Moon.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM

I remember when I went through Scouts that most everyone carried a linerlock or lockback (I'm a newbie, so i may be getting my terms mixed up), but Scouts used to carry sheath knives all the time. I did a few times, and my troop didn't care as long as I treated it with respect. I feel like that's the problem these days though. Boy Scouts are becoming more pansiesh about everything. There isn't anything wrong with a fixed blade as long as you respect the knife. I made Eagle and I have gone from Tiger Cubs to Eagle, and I saw so much stupid stuff that it makes me vomit. There are a lot of great things that Scouts offer, but it's a shame that there are a lot of troops and councils that stop a lot of things because of stupid reasons. I'm getting off my soapbox, but I don't think it would be wrong to carry a lockback in scouts.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Hall of Famer

When I was a boy scout we carried the official Boy Scout Knife, a Marble's hunting knife. That was before anybody could have imagined a lockback or linerlock.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hey guys, newbie knifemaker here, first time post.

My full time job is Computer Programmer, part time I like working on classic Mustangs and grinding down metal until it looks (and hopefully works) like a knife.

Both my son's have been scouts recently, and the BSA absolutely does allow lock backs.

In fact, the link below is to OFFICIAL Boy Scouts of America store knife page.

There are several lock-backs, and surprisingly, even a few nice knives for Cub Scouts.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/...NIVES&C4=&LV=3

Lance Robaldo
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Steel Addict

Don,
Was that the one with an obsidian blade?
Regards,
Fred
Old 08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

My first official Boy Scout knife had a bronze blade.

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised!!

KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal
Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Steel Addict

I'm a den leader and I've never had anyone at our pack say anything but what is the reason fixed blade sheath knives are not allowed? As long as it has a good sheath. I'm having a hard time understanding how a folder is that much safer, my son is seven and the only time he cut himself with his knife was when it bit him a little bit when closing it. Yet he's never cut himself with a fixed blade. I don't feel any more unsafe when I carry a fixed blade on my belt.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

Come see us at Blade show 26BB.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Guru

This is something that disturbs me about the scouts now. When I was in, I carried a folder, and a sheath knife whenever I went camping. We frequently took our .22s on camp trips with us. I had one leader that took us through making tomahawks from leaf springs and had us learn how to throw them. I remember I campout where we took a sleeping bag, minimum food, and our equipment, and did a survival outing. Build shelter and find food for the week. Used the knives and tomahawks to do that shelter that kept us warm and bone dry in a downpour one night.

This idea that young men should not learn about or use the tools that make life easier and safer in the woods is a major flaw with the modern scouting system. I think a major overhaul is needed in the system.

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 AM

You sure are old Don! Liner-locks were around and in use during WWI.

Have to agree on the BSA getting away from what made it such a great growing up experience. I usually carried two pocket knives - one a 3 blade Camillus and a Barlow, one Case sheath knife (4 1/2" blade I think), and a cruising axe - everytime I went camping, hunting or just woodsing. The pocket knives....becuase that's just what boys carried; the sheath knife.......because I thought it was cool (hardly ever used it); the axe becuase my Grand Muddy always said "If ya need moren' 2" of steel for the job use yer axe!"

I never went anywhere without some kind of blade on me until recently. Now I don't fly commercial and I try to stay out of court houses. My first grade teacher used to borrow my Barlow to cut string and stuff. Mumbledee Peg and Split were the sport of recess. It's all crap now!

The local BSA council asked me to do a presentation on sheath making at some multi-troop pow-wow. They held it in a public school. Hard to do a leather working demo without a knife, skive, swivel blade, and scissors! No practical way to show the real reasons for a well made well fitted sheath as well. Guess I could have made a snuff can or cell phone holder. Needless to say, I won't do that again.

We do, I'm happy to say, have several Scouts show up at the Trackrock Hammer-ins. They get up close and personal hands-on instruction in forging a blade, heat-treating, and leather work if they have the time. Jarod, a regular here on the forums is also a regular at TR. Maybe he can shine some light from a Senior Scout's perspective.

CWP - don't see things changing back for the good in our lifetime, yes, it is disturbing.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Skilled

as had been said before- BSA allows folding knives in general, lockback included. However, each scoutmaster would have his perogitive to make his rules for his troop. The only time the official BSA rules would come in would be if they were more restrictive and it was an official BSA sanctioned function such as a camporee or the such. Scouts will use axes, machetes, etc to build, cut wood. In general, power chainsaws are frowned upon unless an adult uses it. In my experience, it was left chiefly up to the Scoutmaster to make those calls.

Eagle Scout-1987

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives