MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Heat Treating with Mapp gas

I use a Evenheat mostly for my HT'ing, but I'm interested in trying a torch now and then to HT my hunters. Is Mapp good enough, or must I step up to the Ox/Ace? I recently bought Ed Caffreys tape (which I enjoyed BTW) and in it, he HT's a blade apparently very precisely with his torch. He edge quenches, which is something I'd like to do also. I'm guilty of not searching this first, sorry.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Last edited by rhrocker; 04-29-2005 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Guru

Howdie Robert ! Ive done quite a bit of heat treating with Mapp. Now I use my larger forge but still believe I can get a more accurate HT with the map. Larger forge tends to get to hot. I think The torch is nice to use to soften the spine. I think it creates a more vivid hammon when doing so also. Someone with more experience im sure will chime in but thats the experience ive had.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 04-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Guru

Robert, In my opinion you will be better of with oxy/acet. set up for several reasons. One is you can cut steel with it, another you can get more heat, you can use LPG in place of Acetylene for gas if you need to just use a larger tip or bye a LPG tip, I have never checked the prices but I don't think you save that much with Mapp Gas. Gib

Old 04-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi Gib! Actually, I have both, but was wondering about the Mapp gas being "usable". I'm just constantly on a learning benge with all of this, and want to be able to converse intelligently when I'm around other makers. In order to do so, I like to ask lots of questions, and try lots of diffrent ideas. I hadn't thought of using LPG however, I thought it would take at least Mapp to get hot enough.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Guru

Robert, You can bye LPG tips that work almost as good as acetylene, thy are not available for all torches. If you can't find one for your torch use the next size larger and you will be close. Gib

Old 04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Ok, but now you're saying to use it along with the Oxygen also, or is this the usual venturi style torch/handle that I see on most LPG rigs?

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Guru

Just substitute the acetylene with LPG. Works great and is cheaper. The acetylene regulator will work but it only goes to 15lb so you may need to us a LPG regulator. Gib

Old 04-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Ok, got it now Gib, thanks!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Master

You can use MAPP, but only on blades small enough to get the whole edge up to heat at once, oxy/aceteline will let you do bigger blades.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer

I found that out last night Andy. I tried my Mapp torch set-up, and although the blade wasn't that large, it was taking a long time to get an even glow along the entire edge. I finally got discouraged, and fired up the Ox/acet, and finished the job up. Just for fun today, I'm going to draw the temper on the edge by heating the ricasso first, then the spine. I have a "temper" oven (Walmart), but I'm interested in doing this sort of like Mr. Scagel may have done it, and that Mr. Fowler (and a lot of others ) does it now.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Well, as a follow up, let me say that heat treating with a oxe/act torch isn't hard at all, but you need to take you time to keep things even. However, tempering with a torch takes some finess that I don't have yet. You have to heat the very edge of the spine in several places, and watch the colors very carefully, then quench in h20 if they start getting to dark towards the edge. I wasn't able to get a consistant straw color along the edge to suit me at all. I really have to hand it to you guys that can do this! For me though, I'm building a tempering salt tank )

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 05-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Master

A quick check reveals a choice of Propane, MAPP, MAPP/Oxygen, and propylene.Has anyone had experience with all these gases ?

Tags
blade, forge, knife