MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Skilled

Hmm. Might have bitten off...

More than I can chew.

To wit: I bought a liner lock to add some scales to and dress up as a holiday present for a friend, but now that I have the parts, I'm not real sure how to accomplish this.

Do I glue the scales right over the torx screws, only drilling out the holes where the lanyard hole and pivot screw is? There are two very small holes on the out side (i.e. opposite the belt clip) I could put pins in.

Also, how the heck do I add scales on the back (Belt clip) side without interferring with the liner lock itself?

Sigh. No good deed goes unpunished, lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If the frame is held together with screws then you do not use glue under the scales. The scales are secured to the frame by additional screws. That's about the best guess I can make without seeing a picture ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Skilled

Here ye be, Ray.

Yeah I know I suck at photos.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 12-08-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Skilled

That's an eBay blade. Have fun with that.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Well, the first problem is that you don't have a liner lock there - you have a frame lock and that's a whole 'nuther set of problems. Second, I thought you had a kit knife and were trying to make scales for it but this is a finished knife and it was never intended to have scales on it.

That just makes things more difficult but not impossible. Personally, I'd suggest you back track and buy a good liner lock kit like one of Darrell Ralph's and build that as a Christmas present. It will be much easier and the end result will be much nicer. But, back to this knife:

First, you'll have to disassemble the knife. On the Mark side you would drill two holes, either 1-72 or 2-56, and tap them. Then, put your scale over that and drill and countersink the holes in the scale. Shape the scale so that it leaves a space at the pivot area that would resemble a bolster.

On the Post side, you'll need to remove the pocket clip, drill two holes and tap them (but they won't line up exactly with the holes on the other side). Shape the scale so that stops under the pocket clip and just short of the screws that hold the pocket clip. Remove the scale material that covers the frame lock bar as far back as the finger cut out goes and maybe a bit more. Bend the pocket clip so that it can rest on top of the scale.

That's about it. Kind of ugly and a little bit fragile but that's why many frame locks don't have scales on them....

Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Skilled

I'll give you more advice from someone who's been there and done that. Go to Knifekits and get a decent folder to work on. I bought several off eBay and it was a big mistake! I boxed them right back up and sent them back. I know, You were trying to save money and I was too, but you will spend more in the long run trying to make them work.

IF you decide to order some fixed blades from that same fellow, get the ones without bolsters. ASK me how I know.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Skilled

Dammit!

Sigh. Thanks guys.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Personally, I'd suggest you back track and buy a good liner lock kit like one of Darrell Ralph's and build that as a Christmas present.
Agree.
My first liner lock was a Darrel Ralph design (DDR3). Excellent parts and blade with good instructions. It turned out nice and I learned a lot from that kit.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Skilled

Well, I don't have the time OR the funds to backtrack. AND I've already got the scales as well.

So....I've taken the knife apart. As soon as this bloody rain stops, I'm going to thin the scales by half their thickness, put some hidden pins in the scales, drill out and counter sink the screws, and attach the scales, leaving the frame lock area open and unimpeded.

And sorry, I didn't really know the diff between a liner and frame lock, folders aren't really my thing. Obviously. Yeah I feel like this:

Between this knife and the two longbows I'm trying to finish, I'm up to my arse in alligators.

This will literally be trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. oy.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Why are you putting pins in the scales? You just said you were drilling and countersinking holes for screws. You don't need both ...

Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Skilled

Clarification: theres two small holes on the front that will support pins, so I figured I'd use them to stabilize the scales.

The drilling and countersinks are for access to the already existing screws. I also bought some slightly longer torx head screws to account for the added material.

This is gonna be a nightmare, I know, but....needs must when the devil drives.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Skilled

Having fun yet?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 PM

You said you know it's going to be a nightmare..OK....but why make it worse than it has to be? Forget the pins, you don't need them. Tap two holes in the side of the knife and screw your scales on - done deal. If your scales cover the holes no one will see them anyway and if you use pins then how will you get the scales off when you want to take the knife apart? That's what screws are for ...

Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Chaney View Post
Having fun yet?
LOL, No.

The things I do for friends and fam.....
Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
You said you know it's going to be a nightmare..OK....but why make it worse than it has to be? Forget the pins, you don't need them. Tap two holes in the side of the knife and screw your scales on - done deal. If your scales cover the holes no one will see them anyway and if you use pins then how will you get the scales off when you want to take the knife apart? That's what screws are for ...
Dammit man, must you make such sense?

I like your idea better thanks.

Tags
advice, back, bee, blade, bolsters, chris, christmas, folder, frame lock, how to, kit, kit knife, knife, liner lock, lock, make, material, pins, pivot, pocket clip, post, ralph, scales, torx