MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast

stupid beginner questions.....

hey everyone....i have been reading this forum for a while.....i am not a professional knifemaker but i love knives and some day dream of being a knifemaker.....can anyone give me a hand in how to make an open wooden scabbard for a knife.....any info on what to use for the strap....i have seen the turk head's knots before.....while i don't quite know how to tie them (that's another story)...what type of string do you tie them with....is it cotton...leather?....i am confused......i don't have any real experience....so any explanations will probably have to be dumbed down a bit......thanks to all for any help ....i love reading this forum and looking at all the great knives you guys are doing....keep up the good work....ryan
Old 04-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Skilled

http://www.knivesby.com/knifemaking.html
Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Steel Addict

Hello Ryan

Welcome to the forums.

For one type of open wooden scabbard look at Tai Goo's website. The ones he makes are called a Hikot. Lots of Turk's Heads knots there also.

www.taigoo.com

Ask all the questions you want to. And don't forget the search button.

Tony
Old 04-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

thanks metalbender and tony for the response and welcome....i did actually forget about the search button....you would think i wouldn't ....i only belong to like 5 forums....can't get any better than tai's stuff.....i have looked at his site plenty.....metalbender....thanks for the links....i actually had that same page saved but lost it somehow.....i have alot of reading to do....thanks again.....i will post pictures of any lame attempts at a wooden sheath......ryan
Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Skilled

stiff upper lip mate! none of this lame attempt stuff! if youve learned something while working on something then your doing it right!

i would have typed a more lengthy response and please pardon the just plain ole link type post, i been medicated, ie dental pain.

anouther method Ive used is to take to slabs of wood, trace the blade profile on each of them and chiseled out a little more than half of the width of the blade at its thickest point, and also chisel out slightly more than the outlines themselves. smooth out as best I could. then glue them together, then wrap a peice of leather around the whole and stitch it up.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for the info.....it's not even as much of "i don't know how to do it" as it is i don't know where to start......i found some old posts and have been reading alot....for instance....for a wooden sheath....i don't live in the woods....i live in the city.....can i just buy some wood at home depot.....i would assume it has to be a hard wood like mahogany ....you can tell i know alot about wood......can you buy stuff like this at hardware stores......i'm gonna go and find out my next day off......i basically no tools....have a drill and a small saw.....so i would assume i have to get at least a chisel......i'm sure it is alot easier when you have a whole shop setup.....it just looks very daunting when you see all these pictures form you professionals.....one question i did have was is there a modern day equivalent to pinion rosin(to seal a wrapped handle)....there are not too many trees where i live.....can i get some type of shellac,varnish,glue....i have no idea.....any ideas......any help would be appreciated....thanks..
Old 04-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Skilled

http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/Aturkhed.html

animated knot

For sealing some have used epoxy thinned a bit and then rub it on and heat it with a hairdryer to get the cording to absorb it.

Bcarta Composites
Stabilized Woods
Old 04-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Skilled

wookie, the garbage is your friend! ie many pallets that dept stores throw out are made of oak or mahoghany. see that small endtable someones throwing out on the side of the road? stop and see if its real wood! may be pine but hey thats a start! see that old electrical wiring or old plumbing thats being tossed because their gutting a building...psst thats copper! yay copper! we LOVE copper all you have to do in these instances is keep a sharp eye out and ask folks permission and they are usually more than willing to let you take away some of their "garbage"

lemme ask you a question, you live in a urban environment? how urban? do you have access to a space where you can set up a forge? all types need ventilation. if not then we can talk about other techniques
youd be amazed what can be accomplished with some plain ole good files, some wire brushes to keep said files clean, some stones, a hacksaw, and ALOT of elbow grease
anyway like i was saying tell us a little about where youd like to set up a shop, mind you for some folks a shop is the corner of the basement or garage, ALL of us started EXACTLY where you are now.... asking questions

Last edited by metalbender; 04-07-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

guess it's to the garbage i go.....i don't really have a spot for a forge.....pallets i've seen before....my boss has a big dumpster and there is usually some type of construction going on......i have a backyard.....not to good for pissing off my neighbors with a forge....they're about 5 feet away.....i'm gonna start looking for stuff....thanks for posting the link of the knot....i saw that the other day...i have yet to attempt it......no days off yet.....to seal the handle.....what do you thin epoxy with??.....i would assume it's not water.....my first project is going to be a wooden sheath......i have an old philipino knife that needs a good home.....right now it has a traditional wooden sheath but it doesn't fit right.....it is too tight......i think i am gonna try taking it apart and fixing it and rewrapping it with cord......it's pretty cool because it has a monkey skull woven on to the top of it....i'll post pictures for everybody soon.....it's been a joy talking with everyone.....i'll post pics as soon as i can....ryan
Old 04-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

I started out

reading books. of course when I actually started the internet was not such a great resource. Do LOTS of searches and reading.

Is it the forge that will make the neighbors mad or the hammering? If the hammering is ok then maybe we can talk about a gas forge.

Maybe you can talk to your boss about some space since there is noise and debris there anyway.

Otherwise you can take the suggestion mentioned previously about files and saws and use a torch for heat treat. It can be done.

Some books:

First get on the mailing list for the lindsay book catalog. They have some great books at even better prices.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Then get the book by Weygers it has great ideas for someone that is starting from nothing and needs to "scrounge" a little but still wants to produce quality work. This book also has good heat treat info.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Moder...5962964&sr=8-4

Go to amazon and search for blacksmith. The internet is great, but you can carry books out to your workspace and can be read anywhere.

Hammond
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

low and behold....i asked a friend about some pallets.....he happens to have some in his yard.....i'm gonna drive over there and get them tomorrow.....a gallon of gas expense.....i'm starting to get the idea.....take people's garbage away for free and they are happy.....now i just have to practice that #### turk head's knot.....i'll get it if it kills me.....thanks for the animated picture......wookie....p.s.....i'm gonna attempt a sheath for my wicked tai goo utility knife....we'll see what happens.....
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Ain't no such thing as stupid beginner questions

However, some of the old f*** answeres that you run into here can be a little strange . The late Bill Moran put out a video on sheaths and knife handles and one that he deals with is the wooden sheath. Basically you cut out two slabs of wood slightly larger than your blade. Trace the outline of the blade on the inside of the boards, carve each side just a smidge deeper than 1/2 the thickness of the blade. Remember, that unless you have a symetrical blade, the two sides must be a mirror immage of the other. You can even carve just a little deeper and line the inside with leather or fleece. Glue the two haves together, shape it, stain it, cover it with leather, use a wood burning kit to put a necked lady on it (or maybe not ) and figure a way to hang it from your belt or around your neck. Jim Hrisoulas's advanced bladesmithing book goes into making wooden scabards for swords. It's the same principle; only the size is different.

Doug Lester
Old 04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

http://www.firemountaingems.com/shop.............hope i posted this link right....not good at computers.....is this cord ok for wraping a handle....will it soak up a sealer.....what thickness is the easiest for a beginner....any info would be appreciated.....p.s. on a side not....i started my first project....i took apart an old wooden sheath i have for a knife.....i made the inside a little bigger(knife was too tight) and now i have to sand...i am taking pics along the way so i can post when done.....wookie

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives