MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Skilled

server too busy

1pm central 15 nov 04. i have been getting this message quite often over the last couple weeks. it usually doesn't last more than a few minutes. is this an update time or just more people viewing the forums now?
Old 11-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Hi Shakudo,

We'll have to catch it in the act to determine which scripts are running at the time of the busy response. The forum script is set to a low cutoff load of 5. We normally run .1 - 1. There may be a cron job occuring that is causing the load to temporarily spike. Anything that runs it over 5 will automatically kill the forum to keep the db's safe.

Thank you for posting this. This is the first report I've had.

If anyone catches the script in the next couple of days, post the time of the busy response here in this thread and we'll see what's running in cron. When I get a chance, I'll write a script to notify us of this in the future.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-16-2004, 08:01 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I've noticed it too, but just assumed that we were really, really popular!

I'll try to remember to log the time it happens again (if it does).

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Alex, it happens to me too, about once a week for 5 minutes or so.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM

Same here...I get "busy server" once or twice a week for several minutes each time.

And I frequently run into periods when it's extremely slow to load every page...especially if it's a thread that contains an image...and I've got cable! At times it's so slow I get too frustrated and walk away. (I can think of a couple friends who won't come here at all anymore because of the slow load times...which by the way, is a problem my friends and I never encounter over at another, much larger populated group of knife forums).*

*Sorry to have to report that,...You know we love you....please don't kill the messenger.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 11-17-2004, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info guys. The "time-outs" are what I need documented when you run into one. It's a script running in cron and we'll have to catch it by time of day to remedy the problem. I've got the forum set to a low threshold, default load cutoff of 5. It'll shut off and give you that message when the server load hits 5, even on spike. This is to protect the server and the db's associated with this script. Bulletin has runaway issues and they know it, thus the cutoff threshold setting. It's a normal shutdown process, but something is kicking in and using too many resources or maybe hanging for a moment until it can be killed.

Please post the times and we'll get it.

Dennis, thanks for the input. I think you're talking about a different issue, anyway. If you're having slow general page loading time, and you're on a decent connection, then I may be able to help you with simple setting adjustments. Yes, the forums, in fact the whole site, is a lot more complex, in terms of script integration and dynamic content generation, but we test everything we build, continually. That's what we do. And I can tell you that if you're connection is a solid 40+ dialup, generally, you should have a reasonable time within the KNet site, considering the depth of content and all the toys. If you have a high-speed connection, dsl or cable, you should be like my home cable connection, able to simultaneously serve 5 machines and still burn up these pages.

Correct, other forums you visit will load faster. All you're running on when you're there is a forum script. It's one program that looks like a whole site. We're running 27 different applications on this site, making the KNet and it's areas function. Many are being integrated into the forums, calls to classifieds, banners, image gallery and general page generation. If I remember correctly, you're on a Macintosh, so you'll have to find these adjustments on your own. But you might try to set cache to not reload each page from the server on each refresh. This can seriously speed up dynamic websites for the operator. Most PC IE's come set with default, "check for newer versions on the server occasionally" set and this works well.

However, when you're experiencing this, please record the time and the number of visitors on the site and I'll look into it for you intently, if you feel the site is acting funny in some way.

Same goes for everyone. Report your general experience around the site and let us know your basic system and browser configurations when you post. I'm not really concerned with other sites, but I do want to make sure you guys are ready for the next wave of AV toys. The internet is not backing up, men! The only option we have at this time is to remove toys from the display to speed it up for weaker connections or slow loading browsers.

We're here to help with anything you guys need ... even while you sleep!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Skilled

9:52 pm 17 nov 04 server is busy message, forum thread list on main page blank.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks ...
False alarm this time! We're working on the servers tonight!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-18-2004, 05:46 PM

6:44PM...Server too busy.
(With 34 total online)

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 11-18-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Skilled

Just happened to me (18 NOV). From the page: "All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM".
Old 11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Thanks men. By the time I got these messages (6:48) the load was sustained at .3. Something is spiking it quick and shutting down.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-21-2004, 12:24 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
34 people online, today (11/21), timestamp: All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Hope you can track this down, Alex. It's not a huge problem, but a nusiance that I know you don't want happening on your site. Good luck!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Jamey,

It's only 1:53 server time. I'm not following what you're trying to report. The load on the box is under 1.00 and there are 44 users on the forums at this time. The total member visits are 177 right now.

Can you explain this again?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-21-2004, 01:45 PM

I guess it could be possible that I have my time set wrong in my profile. I see your post as happening at 2:55. I did get the server too busy message, though, so I guess the time would be 1:21.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Skilled

3:24 pm central. 33 users,happened while i was still in the forum and looking at a link.closed link and got the message.

Tags
knife