MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
It must suck to be so busy you don't have time to play. I like being so bad at knifemaking no one will buy my knives much better. Sign me up Don. I want to try my first linerlock with my favorite pattern. Good idea you have here.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Why without pictures, Frank? One of the useful side effects of a project like this is seeing how other people do things. I'm not suggesting a step by step progression like in a tutorial but a few pics of any step that you feel may be somewhat different than used by others would be very welcome. A unique way of fitting a lock, setting a detent, or maybe the use of a jig or fixture that you haven't seen elsewhere would be most welcome and appropriate...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWulf
What the hey, I'll give it a go. Two questions tho:

1. Does your design plan have a materials list included or do we need to make up our own?? :confused:

2. Just how much will we be allowed to 'play' with the design/embelishment?? :evil

(What if our 'barlow' ends up looking suspiciously like a karambit?? LOL)

Wulf
1. the design makes it clear what materials to use for the parts.

2. No rules apply here. If you use my design, though, use the lock and pivot dimensions by measuring the design and applying to the parts as you make them.

The design leaves the bolsters and scales up to your imagination, also embellishment. So do as you please. No rules. We're just making a barlow, so any variations of barlow apply.

There are several barlows shown on my web site.

If it comes out as a karambit, sell it to somebody.

Join us.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
It must suck to be so busy you don't have time to play. I like being so bad at knifemaking no one will buy my knives much better. Sign me up Don. I want to try my first linerlock with my favorite pattern. Good idea you have here.
Welcome, HDN. Good to have you join in.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers
Why without pictures, Frank? One of the useful side effects of a project like this is seeing how other people do things. I'm not suggesting a step by step progression like in a tutorial but a few pics of any step that you feel may be somewhat different than used by others would be very welcome. A unique way of fitting a lock, setting a detent, or maybe the use of a jig or fixture that you haven't seen elsewhere would be most welcome and appropriate...
Yeah, Frank, why no pictures, as Ray asks?? (I think you told me once, but I don't remember. No camera?)

Here's the first thing that I'd like those of you who haven't been involved in manufacturing to learn during this process:

WIP means "work in progress". I'll use that term to describe the posts I use with photos attached of my WIP as the knife progresses thru different stages. Some of the photos will show parts of the knife, trial assemblies, stages from start to finish. That is, assuming Alex will allow us to do that.

I'd like to see all of us who build the barlow to show their WIP (work in progress) if you have access to a digital camera. Just keep the images small, and compressed to 72dpi .jpg images.

Agree???

The first thing I'll post is all the purchased parts I'll use, along with the sources.

I've got to order scale material tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

It's been 4 days now since we started counting down to the start date. Tomorrow's the start day.

Target for completion of all knives is July 4th., 2005.

Here's the list I've compiled from your posts.

Jim
McAhron
frank
Jeff
Pat
Andy
Gil
Wulf
Hammerdownnow

Including myself, that makes 10 participants so far.

Does anybody else need the design?

Everybody's welcome to join in at any time later. just say so, but remember the deadline for having regularWIP posts and the knife completed is the fourth of July.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Skilled

Don,
I think that I'd like to give this a go. I've only made one liner lock, but I make a few slip jonts a year. I'm also interested in your book 'my way'. PM sent.

Trenton

Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Good, Twisty, that makes 11 so far.

A linerlock barlow should be right up your alley.

Today's day 5, so it's time to get to work on our barlows.

If you need a source for Ti, screws, pivot pins, etc., let me know. Gotta go and order supplies myself. I'm getting low on screws and pivot pins.

Anybody else interested in joining us?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Skilled

If it is OK with you Don I would like to try something that I conjured up in my mind about a year ago. After my grandfather died my grandmother gave me some of his old knives and they were mostly just old worn out knife parts but like I always do I save everything. In the sack was parts of an old barlow and an old electricians knife that had a brass liner and on the screwdriver part of the knife the liner was split and bent outward to form the lock when the screwdriver part was opened. I kept them and I would often take them out and look at them and thought they would make good patterns for some new knives. Well, when you came up with this thread to make a liner lock barlow, the light bulb just popped up above me and I thought it was a good idea to make a barlow with this old pattern and use the pattern from the electricians knife to make it a liner lock barlow. It will probably be pretty close to your pattern.

Gilbert

Old 04-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Master

Hi Ray.
The picture thing is the best for sure and I love to be able to see what people are talking about and doing, but I don't do any pictures at all . Any you have seen of my work have been done by my partner Ron Lockhart who lives about 500 miles from my home. Since he handles all of my sales I send all my folders to him and have never got into the picture doing thing. I'm sure pleased that other makers have . Frank

Old 04-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHNorfleet
Well, when you came up with this thread to make a liner lock barlow, the light bulb just popped up above me and I thought it was a good idea to make a barlow with this old pattern and use the pattern from the electricians knife to make it a liner lock barlow. It will probably be pretty close to your pattern.

Gilbert
Great, Gil. My design was taken from a George Wostenholm barlow furnished by a barlow collector.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Hall of Famer

I ordered some damascus and MOP for my barlow yesterday. I had a hard time getting what I want. Koval didn't have anything in stock, and all I could get from TKS was thunderforged in a basic pattern. I wanted raindrop pattern, but no one had it in stock.

I've never used damascus, being a stainless steel man, so I may need some advise when it comes to etching and finishing the steel.

I think I'll make the bolsters and back spacer out of the same damascus.

I usually make two knives at a time, so I'll probably make a CPMS30V folder, too, and I'm thinking of making the bolsters from sterling silver and having them engraved. I've ordered enough MOP for two knives, but haven't decided what to use for scales on the stainless knife.

You guys who are starting out, don't be put off by plans for an embellished knife. I'm making these kind of fancy simply because I've already made several plain barlows, and I liked every one of them. You might consider bone scales, they are relatively inexpensive and easy to work, and are beautiful on a small knife. Anything works, linen micarta, wood, anything.

I started a small folder for an order yesterday, but as soon as the steel gets here I'll be working on the barlows.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Living Legend

Hey Don are there any size restrictions,I was thinking a 4" blade would be nice.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAhron
Hey Don are there any size restrictions,I was thinking a 4" blade would be nice.
Wowzie!! I've never seen a barlow with a blade that long, but make whatever suits you best.

I just like the small barlow pocket knife, because everybody had one in his pocket when I was a kid. Men, kids, all had one or more, because they were so cheap and available at any hardware store, even the soda fountain counter, mounted on a cardboard display. Cheap was very important during and after the depression and during WWII.

During the 30's, forties and fifties, traveling salesmen gave them away to their customers. Their knives were called "Salesmen's Knives". They had the company name on the bolster or handle. Lots of them had celluloid handles and stamped sheet metal bolsters.

'Course, you youngsters probably haven't run across a traveling salesman.

Have you ever seen the old musical movie about the traveling salesman who sold a town enough instruments to start a band?

In those days, people didn't have cell phones, the internet, big box stores, UPS, etc. The hardware companies sent out salesmen to take orders.

AND,,, they didn't have a barlow that locks open, and you had to grit your teeth and break fingernails to open the knife. The old barlows also didn't have a bearing on the pivot and thrust washers on the side of the blade.

Old barlows are classics. Ours will be state of the art, with better materials and a smooth, locking action. Nostalgia in your pocket.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Skilled

I am going to use some of the materials I have here in the shop. I am thinking of using ATS-34 for the blade and backspring and try to integrate the brass for the locking mechanism. Also I think I will use nickel silver for the bolsters and then either some Carbon Fiber or Stag for the scales although I do have some great looking curly maple that would probably work more easily and look great too. Gotta go and get to work.

Gil

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives, switchblade