MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered

CNC Machine

So I am new to the site. Love it already. I have a quick question for you tech guys. I am thinking about taking my small knife making into the cnc machining side of the house. I was wondering what you guys think or know is a good cnc machine for a small business. I have turn out quite a few knifes and think its time to jump in feet first. I mainly focus on tactical fixed blades and what to start manufacturing more consistent products. I would like to have machined knifes that I will be able to pull from the machine, treat, coat, sharpen, and finish. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Skilled

Just my personal opinion, but I can't abide machine made knives.

I make knives because I want to put some of myself into the things I make (and yes I do think that a little bit of our "souls" for lack of a better term goes into those things we lovingly make by hand), and a CNC machine completely defeats the purpose.

If you haven't hand filed, ground, or pounded that metal out by hand, not by putting it in a machine and pushing some buttons, it's not hand made and has no soul.

I like my blades to be individuals.

Some things aren't improved by doing it faster and easier.

Not trying to rain on your parade, if it works for you, go for it, but it's not for me.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 PM

You probably want to have a look at the Tormach machines for what you are describing. You'll need to make up some decent jigging to handle beveling, tapered tangs, etc. All that said, I'm pretty much with Cthulu on machining knives. Knife manufacturers machine knives, knife makers forge, shape, polish and create knives.

Bob
Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast

well I use CNC and hand methods to get the job done but i trained as a Design and Production engineer so dont have a phobia about machines
I can still do a hand filed handmade knife.

But if i need to do numbers then my first stop is to get blades Laser cut to profile then batch heat treated i dont and never will have the money to get my own Laser cutter or want to stock the metal in large sheets

I can then clean up the profile and grind bevels I use a KMG clone but clamp blades to a angle bracket this is handmade as far as im concerned but not for the free handers ( I also put a bit of metal in a vice to file it )
I use high speed and large grit to speed grinding

the CNC cut handle and pin holes also allow me to use CNC cut templates which speed Handle making

I'm currently looking to get a CNC small table router which is similar price to my Grinder to machine Scales out of G10 etc

So depends what you want to do you can certainly save a lot of time and therefore money if you look at how you produce and balance numbers against Method

ie I order in 800 blades in various shapes and thickness they arrive in 7 days cut and hardened (for similar price to me buying the metal in small qty)
that saves me 2-4weeks many belts and 2 large bottles of Gas to get to the same point.

this isnt that many

As one of my mottos go

"Precision Engineering, Hand Craftsmanship Blended by Design"

Tags
angle, art, cnc, coat, design, forge, g10, grinding, hand, handle, handmade, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, polish, scales, tactical