MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Skilled

Sharpening woes

OK. I've got to be doing something wrong. On all my blades, I use the convex edge, and I prefer a relatively thick edge design so I don't expect to get that "hair-popping" edge such as a straight razor might get, and I am able to get a hair cutting edge, but only after considerable time and effort using a belt sander, followed by a steel and ultimately a diamond hone. I can get my edge to a fine keen edge, and it holds the edge quite well, but it just takes too long to get it there. One tip off I think is that during the sharpening process, the edge inevitably feels sharper in one direction than it does in the other direction. This is true even after using the steel and the diamond hone, but eventually, it will even out and feel equally sharp in both directions. Once I reach this point, this is my tip-off that the edge is about as sharp as it's going to get. Any suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong? Anyone else had this "one-way sharp thing" going on? The blade appears to be evenly ground and there is no remaining burr at this point in the process.

Last edited by Ed Tipton; 02-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 AM
Master

What I have found to work good for me is I get the bevels set to where I want them with a course stone or belt grinder if you have one. I usually set the secondary bevel to around 15-17 degrees then I go to my fine ceramic stone and do a few passes on each side at about 20 degrees. After you get the burr off I switch to the ultra fine ceramic and do a few more passes with very light pressure. It takes me about 2 minutes to get a razor sharp edge. If I want that scary hair topping edge I set the secondary bevel at about 12-15 degrees and do the final edge at around 18 degrees followed by a few passes on the strop. This won't give you an edge that feels sharp but I cn pop the tops off my arm hair without touching the blade to my skin.
I don't recommend setting the bevel that fine though because it's not good for anything other then shaving unless your doing a filette knife.

I just got a set of water stones and have been playing around with them but still can't get that nice razor edge... U think I might go back to my ceramic stones. It really bugs me because those water stones were a lot of money. I got a 3000, 6000 and 8000 grit they ran me over $250 and honestly I think they are complete garbage and I think they are way out to lunch on the grits too. The 3000 grit seems like its around 1200 grit.

If you want something fairly simple to use for a decent price pick up the spyderco triangle sharpmaker. It comes with medium and fine ceramic rods. The base has 2 different settings, one at 30 degrees and one at 40. I have it and it puts a really nice edge on. It's just a bit slow if you have to correct anything but having the belt grinder helps.

Last edited by metal99; 07-02-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Tags
back, bee, blade, design, diamond, edge, knife, razor sharp, sharp, sharpening, steel, stone