MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 07-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Living Legend

Question Another experimental one ... Hmmm... Survival Bowie

Here's one thats been receiving a bit of thought and work lately. The concept was basically a so-called survival knife with a Sheffield Bowie type design. This one has been redone and redone and redone ! About the 3rd set of handles now !!! Its my first attempt at making serrations - these are all hand cut. Handles are surprisingly comfortable and shaped for security.

A working grade knife with a working finish. The specs - 8inch blade - RWL34 Powdered Swedish stainless steel, flat ground, convex edge, machine finished. 60 Rockwell. Top edge is deep hollowground one side - "chisel" style, convex on the other side. All hand filed in. The top swedge returns to full thickness at the tip for added tip strength. 416SS oval guard. Full tang with minimal taper. Black Dymondwood handles. Swinger sheath with snap. The front pouch is big enough to take a Leatherman Wave.

The handle design just doesn't work for me, and I was actually more pleased with the sheath !! But I can see the potential in the design. I'm keen to get feedback and other ideas from all of you.

Thanks in advance. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 07-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The handle design just doesn't work for me
That would be my take as well. It may BE comfortable, but it doesn't LOOK comfortable. (particularly to someone with large hands) Color of the scales may have something to do with that. It's a knockout looking blade with a dull looking handle.

Having dumped on it, let me say that it's still a terrific looking knife! I don't recall seeing one quite like it, and that's unusual for a bowie. I picture guys drooling over it at a knife show!

Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Guru

What I always like about Jason's work is there is always something to admire. Plus of course Jason is always too modest

In this case I think the knife is 90% there. The sheath looks excellent. I love the blade and guard, including the hand cut serrations!

I agree that the handle is the part that is lacking. I would be interested to see some measurements on the whole knife, the blade and the handle, but ....

I think the handle looks a bit on the 'skinny' side for such a beefy blade. It's not the thickness that's the problem, it's the depth. The handle looks like it might almost be square in section which means it might roll in the hand in use.

Even so, I like it

Roger

Old 07-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Jason, I think I would have to agree with you on the handle. It just doesn't seem to go with the rest of the knife.

Not that I should be making suggestions... but here's another though...

The shape of the handle.... currently you have a coffin style handle. Works great for frontier style, and traditional bowies. But this one is a little less bowie and more utilitarian. Maybe try a non-traditional shape. It might give you what you where hoping to get out of it.

Chris Nilluka
Old 07-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Skilled

You always come up with a great knife. And I think one of the biggest things I like in your knives is that there is always a reason for and some good thinking going into all the aspects of your knives.
The sheath looks likes it heavy duty and will take a beating, as well as protect the knife. I like the pocket in front, can be used for a number of things.
The blade and gard on the knife look very useful for survival. I particularly like the holes on the gard I can see where they would be real handy if you had a length of rope with you.
The Handle? like every one else I don't care for it. My first thought was that it might slip right out of your grip. I want a handle that I can grip, something that also feels secure behind my little finger, some thing I could swing with out feeling it will go flying. Make sense?
other then the handle I really like it and think your really on to some thing really cool.

DarrenP.Reeves
Custom Hand Engraving
Billings, Montana

1-406-245-3444

Knife in Avatar
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Master

i agree with the handle sentiments, i think it needs more shape to it. im also partial to blending the handle into the guard more instead of an abrupt transition...but thats just my personal taste. i really like everything else about the knife, nice serrations, nice blade shape, the sheath looks rugged with lots of character
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 AM
Guru

I agree with the handle comments that have already been stated, BUT MAN WHAT A KNIFE!! I REALLY like the look of the blade with the hand files serrations!!! I think that is my favorite part of this knife. They look like they should cut great and add a cool look as well. Did I already mention I LIKE this knife!! Great job. I know you will get the handle worked out and this is going to be one hot selling item when you do!!!

Tags
blade, knife, knives