MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 04-13-2002, 04:06 PM
hammerdownnow

jigged bone

hello everyone, i have some honey jigged bone handle scales. they seem awful dark, almost black. i tried washing some of it out with soap and water, but it did not make much differance. i was wondering if there was a way to tone down the color. i am making a copy of an old case boot/bowie out of 1095. i am shooting for an antique look with a lemon juice patinia.so i would like the handle to look a little aged too. also if anyone knows the correct name for this knife, it would be appreciated. its an old old model made in bradford pa., with intragal guard cut into/out of, the blank its self. it says, Case's tested XX. i thought the appostrophy was unique. thanks, Roc
Old 04-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Don Cowles

We really pretty much stick to custom knives on this forum, but since you are "customizing" a factory knife, let's see if I can help.

Get some acetone from the hardware store, put some on a rag or paper towel (in a well-ventilated area), and start wiping that jigged bone with it. You will see the color start to come off on the cloth immediately. Repeat until you get it where you want it to be (could take some time).

If it just isn't happening, you can try soaking it in acetone for a couple of minutes, but I'd stand over it and pull it out every few seconds to make sure you don't overshoot the mark. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:11 PM
hammerdownnow

jigged bone

Don, thanks for the quick response. It worked like a charm! 1/2 bottle of the ol'ladies nail polish remover, and an old sock later,it toned down to a nice soft honey brown. I think you misread my question tho. I am not working on the old case. I am making a knife based on that pattern. The materials, (1095, jigged bone scales) were picked up last weekend on a kid in the candy store trip down to koval knives. hhmmmm....pay the bills, or buy a grinder?......pay the bills, or buy a grinder? why do the choices have to be so hard? haha! thanks again, roc
Old 04-14-2002, 03:16 PM
Don Cowles

I did indeed misread your post, and I apologize for the gig. Glad the bone treatment worked for you.

buy the grinder- you can pay the bills later.

Tags
knife, knives