MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to JustinUpright
Unhappy Question for Darrel Ralph

Over in another thread there is a big debate on signing ones work.

The discussion revolves around your DDR kits.

The question origionally was to do with the customizer and his signing the work and where is acceptable.

Why do you not mark your kits with your name?
Is it acceptable for a person who puts hours of work into one of your kits to sign his work?

Where is the right place for the cutomizer to sign?

Sorry for the barage of questions, but there seems to be a lengthy debate and I think you should be involved as we are discussing your kits.

Thank You in advance! Show us the light on this subject.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:10 PM

Hey Justin! No beatin' around the bush for you, eh!!

I'm interested, too.

Coop

(BTW--welcome aboard!)

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-09-2003, 10:58 PM

Sir
The only kits I have EVER signed are the prototypes that I built for knifekits.com and a few Koval kits that I did the protos for.
ANYTHING ELSE is a fake. I DO NOT MAKE KITS. I DESIGN KITS.
There is one proto before I decided to make the TRAK neck knife a kit that I made that is on bladeart.
EVERYTHING ELSE IS A FAKE! I do not sign the kit protos anymore.
After I heard shocking news from a show where folks were buying signed kits that I built? I dont think so. All of my designs that I build custom have my name on them ... My custom designs are totally differnet than any kit that I have designed for a reason. To stop the confusion.

Let's look at what is happening.
The reason this is a HOT issues is very simple.
Kit builders are making some cool knives.

I dont know of very many knife makers who have tried to expand the knife market. I feel that kits do just that.
One man tells another about the cool knife they can build from a kit. This brings more interest to knives in general. The knife industry has been on a down swing for several years. There are many reasons for this. Young people have moved into the service society. We need to create more hand craftsman. This is how you create more customers for custom knives, factory knives and kit knives.
First a person buys a kit. They put it together. Then they show there friends. Another person buys a kit. The interest then moves into factory knives or some other faction of the knife industry. On and on......
Most people dont even KNOW there is such a thing as a custom knife. They dont know custom knife makers exists. Education is the key. My Cub Scout pack is now making knives. The young folks are the future of knives in general. They will know there is more than a fillet knife for sale or a Cub Scout knife.

Kits are also an educational tool for the person who wants to learn to make knives. Just think you get years of experience in one kit. What better way to get going making knives. In general this will raise the bar for knives in general in the future. The kit builder is acquiring an education with the first kit they build.

My personal opinion is for the kit builder to be honest. That's all.
The knife industry has not been able to DEFINE levels of custom, hand made or whatever name for knives in general. Maybe more work in this area would help define the situation? I do not feel any knife organization will ever be able to name what is attached to what knife.

Custom means that knife is to the customers specs? Customized as the dictionary quotes it.
Hand made means made with NO TOOLS? I dont know many knife makers that do not use tools? (Even tools they make themselves)

What is the right answer?
There isn't one.
Read the dictionary. I'm sure that the real definition (custom, hand made, etc) is in the book for each word that has been assigned by some that redefined the words to make it mean whatever some want the word to mean. Other than that I feel you are getting yourself into a pit of quicksand. You will just drown in the sand. Stuck in confusion. Knife buyers buy what they like now days. So make them good and clean.

Many folks building kits make knives in all respects that look, feel, function, and have better customization than many knives for higher prices. There is a new level of quality and customization from a kit builder. The maker can focus on the knife not the mechanics while building the knife. The knife can be built for much less. This is America. We are all capitalists.
What do you think the folks with a horse and buggy said about the automobile? If you read history the automobile was shunned at first. Then many bought the automobile. The skeptics all had to eat there words.

Do what you think is the right. Dont listen to others.
Everyone has an opinion. Doesn't mean there right!

Please feel free to make the DDR designed kits the way you feel is correct for you. In essence we all have to pay our own way in life.
People who tell you what to do will not stand in line to make your house payment.

As for marking your work.. Mark it as you feel appropriate.
I do respect folks who tell the truth.
I have no head nod that I can give you for this issue.
Why not "customized by (your name here)" if it makes you feel good?

Regards
Darrel Ralph
Old 02-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

Darrel, Thank you for replying.
J. Hartt
Old 02-10-2003, 01:08 PM

No problem!
I hope this answers the question.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to JustinUpright
Thanks Darrel

I think you cleared up alot of what was being asked. Thanks for your imput.

I understand about the marking of the blades on your part now I wouldn't want that to happen either.

So basicly it is up to each individual to tell the customer that the knife is customized by mouth or by stamping. I guess in the long run we can only look out for ourselves and not worry about people not giving the whole truth. We are accountable for our own actions.

Again Thanks and sorry to bother you just wanted a more professional oppinion

Tags
knife, knives