MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Ropes4u

Grain...

I am polishing my second kits blade, the first blade I have polished. It appears to have grain much like a wood grain except that it is straight. Is is possible to polish this out? I have worked from 400 down to 2000 grit and can still see it. From most angles the blade looks like a mirror but I can still see what I am calling a grain in the blade. The blade looks great I just wonder if I am not doing something that will eliminate the grainy effect?

Thanks, John
Old 02-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Coop747

Ropes,

Hey, first off, please register and join us as a member--you got good things to say!!

Grain? When I first started sanding my blade for the 'hand-rubbed' look, I was very aware of the grinding or machining marks in the blade. The bead-blasted finish is very forgiving. It took a number of coarse grits to remove it (and some elbow grease!).

I think you might have needed to start with a coarser grit (220?) then work up. 400 to start with won't remove enough material to get out the minor machining marks.

Plus, any higher polish will accentuate *any* flaw in profile. (Look at the fender of a repaired car for waves)

We aren't building the best knife in our collection on the first attempt, as much as I'd like that to be. So enjoy whatever you come up with and show us!!!

Coop
Old 02-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Ropes4u

Thanks...

Coop

Thanks for the help! I am happy with the look of the knife and almost hate to start over but will probably do just that when I return from vacation. I got in the snakewood blocks that will with luck turn into scales when I get home. I will be joining and I will post pics.

Thanks, John

Tags
blade, knife