MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Guru

Metal Cutting ?

Need some advise on a bandsaw for cutting my bar stock. Im about to purchase some barstock for stock removal on some blades and Ive held off till last to purchase a metal cutting bandsaw. They obviously dont come cheap. Any suggestions on wich ones I should be looking at or wich ones to stay away from ?

Any help on this subject would be appreciated. Its one of the last things I need to purchase ( till I find something else ).

Thanks

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 01:19 AM
Guru

After more research I think im going with the Harbor Freight model. Seems likea great deal for the money.

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

Enco has one comparable to harbor freight, except this one has a motor made in the USA, on sale for 199.99 with free shipping. Might want to take a look

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMPA

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 03-19-2004, 07:35 AM
Skilled

I have the 5x6 Horizontal/Vertical saw, but mine has a Grizzley sticker on it. There are a lot of makers that have this saw, and they all seem to like it. I like mine, I have cut wood, stainless and carbon steels, and Titanium with no problems. You MUST get a good BI Metal blade, I wrecked the one that came with the saw the first week I had it. What ever you get make sure it is variable speed, so you can run it slow.

Jeremy

Old 03-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
My advice is to go with the Enco version. Although the import motors often are very servicable, if anything ever goes wrong with it, you will have a tough time finding anyone who will work on it. I picked up a drill press a while back that had an import motor (motor was shot), and NOBODY would even attempt to fix it. I couldn't even locate a source to purchase another motor. I finally wound up rigging up another motor (US made) that sorta works.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-19-2004, 08:30 AM
Guru

I have a harbor freight band saw, did a good job for a few years then the motor burnt up, ordered a new motor, to make a long story short the replacement motor is a JOKE, sent it back and bought a made in american motor. Also there is some indication that they know that they have a problem. Gib

Old 03-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Master

Here's another option you may not have considered:

This is a Milwaukee deep cut portaband set up with a work rest for use as a bandsaw. When I want to use it I just clamp it up in my vise. When not in use, it hangs on the wall out of the way. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the Porter Cable model, as the motor position on it has better clearance, but the Milwaukee works, and I've not run into a situation I couldn't use it for.

I've also got a HF bandsaw like everyone else...which I've since relegated to only using as a horizontal bandsaw...took the legs off and mounted it permanently on the edge of my welding table. I hated that thing, with a passion.

The thing I especially like about the portaband setup is that good bi-metal blades only cost about $6 each as opposed to $20+ for the HF bandsaw. I run this thing pretty much wide open (something like 300sfpm) and it cuts fast. Yes, the blades wear out a little more quickly, but they only cost $6...time is money too.

It has also come in handy for those occasions when I have needed a portaband. We're building 5 80 pound air hammers, and having the portaband came in handy for some various parts of that project!

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 03-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
A chop saw comes in handy and can do some jobs much quicker.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Guru

Geez, you guys know how to confuse a guy !

Great ideas, im going to look into the porta saws Darren, that seems like a great option.

Thanks again everyone.

Shane
Old 03-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Master

Sorry, didn't mean to add to the confusion...just wanted to throw another option out there! I ran across this site for reconditioned Milwaukee portabands while doing a search...maybe there's another place that sells reconditioned Porter Cable portabands out there too...

http://www.powertoolservices.com/portabands.htm

I've never dealt with this company...so caveat emptor!

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 03-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Living Legend

wichever you buy get the bi-metal blades,the plane ones are crap
Old 03-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Skilled

SKIVIE,

Want more confusion?

Go cheap: Get a high tension hacksaw and 18 tpi bi-metal blades. Cuts faster than you think it will!

FWIW, I also have the cheap HF bandsaw. Love the little guy. I cut everything on it. Including PVC for home plumbing projects.

Steve

Old 03-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Living Legend

Shane,

I have the HF band saw and it works well. I also have the HF 6" chop saw, about $35 w/o blades, $10 for the discs. It cuts the bar stock and rod stock a lot easier and safer than the band saw. Always have the rods twisting in my hand and had to stop that and use the dremel until I got the saw. Granted my band saw is setup for permanent table cutting.

Jim

Edit: If you get the chop saw, don't cut brass with it. It is a form of grinder and brass will gum up the blade.

Last edited by Drac; 03-19-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Guru

Shane,

When it comes to buying tools, always get the best one that you can afford from a company with a good guarantee. I have had very good luck with both Grizzly and MSC but would suggest that you avoid the cheapest models. If you plan on using it for years to come, then I would suggest getting something more than the least expensive models. In the long run it will pay you dividends.

Gary
Old 03-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

porta band

Did you modify the portaband at all to get it to work in your vise? Thats a really attractive looking idea to me.

Can you cut titanium effectively with it?

Tags
blade, knife, knives