MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Steel Addict

C&C for knife pictures

Thanks Ebbtide for you assistance in Photoshop.

I have been playing around in Photoshop and I have some pics I would like critique on. For some reason I just don't like the composition of the photos below. I think on some I have to many pics and others not enough. Help! The last two pictures I do like.

Credit to Martin (Sandy) Morrissey for the sheath work.

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 03-27-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Edited for additional picture
Old 03-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Skilled

Darn Barbara, I just wrote a post that took me forever, and it just vanished.. I will write it again when I have more time.. Thanks Ebbtide for the PShop info.. ... Best, Rich
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 AM

I think in general the knife needs to be somehow in front of the sheath. Otherwise the sheath dominates or at least divides the viewer's attention unnecessarily. Here is a comparable example:

The thing about insets is they should contain new information not already present elsewhere in the image. All of your examples contain at least one inset that adds no new information yet still competes for the viewer's attention. Here is an example for comparison:

The two things I mentioned above are, for me at least, rules that I try to observe. The following things are more about personal preference.

Personally, I don't care too much for unblended insets because they have that "cut 'n paste" look that I associate with elementary school projects.
Also, in most instances placing text inside the frame with the knife competes for the viewer's attention at the expense of the knife's initial impression on the viewer.

I hope these observations are helpful but please remember they reflect my personal bias. How you intend to use your images should ultimately dictate your approach.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Skilled

I agree with what Buddy said, the inserts need to contain new information. I also agree with your statement of having to many of the inserts. The knife needs to be the main focus when you look at it and with to many inserts it competes with the knife. Barbara please take my comments with a grain of salt, I am by no means at the level of photographer that all of yall.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks to everyone who has posted a comment.

I agree 100% with what everyone has said and I have included another pic. I am extremely happy because I have finally learned how to cut around images. I was tracing around the image but couldn't figure out how to place it on another pic, but with several references to my Photoshop books and help from the forum group I finally did it. Sorry Buddy, I didn't place the knife over the sheath this time but I wasn't sure I could cut around it yet. I will try to cut out the knife and place it over the sheath. I'm not so sure I can do it a second time, but tracing around the image just got a lot easier, so we'll see. I have put the maker's name on the frame as suggested by Buddy. Mike thinks I should have used the full length of the knife for the inset photo. He's probably right about that. Let me know what you think.

I really want to thank you all again for your help and want you to know how much it is appreciated.

Last edited by Barbara Turner; 03-29-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM

Well I am not aphotographer but a few things jump out at me. The first thing I see is the sheath, not the knife. I think there are 2 reasons for this, one the background blends with the knife but not the sheath and the sheath is bothclosest to the viewer and centered. The other thing that I notice is knife handle hanging in the picture, just having the handle does not work for me, I think the whole knife would be better, still showing the tang mind you.
Hope that helps
Steve

Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Steel Addict

Steve,

Yes, you are right in your assessment. The sheath takes center stage. I don't like the half knife insert myself, but I was just so happy that I could extract something from an image and didn't want to spend to much time until I was able to finally be able to do it. All of the suggestions I will put to use on future projects and is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Barbara

Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

First off you are welcome
I'm glad to help out where I can.

On to insets in photo montages...
If one was to put a rule around the inset (stroke in PS) it gives the inset a 'reason' to be there.
A graphic device, the rule defines the area and visually sets it apart, as a separate but related thought.
Before computers photos in print would almost always have a rule around them. Not only did it make the film stripper's life easier, but it showed where the photo ended, making it easy on the eye.
This illustrates the floating handle vs inset with rule.

The inset looks like it 'belongs' there, but the handle shot is just sort of 'there'.
If the image was cropped to exclude the floating handle it would be balanced* and pleasing.

In the first post, last image, try putting a 1pt rule/stroke (Edit>stroke) around the inset and see how it looks. Either black for a light background or white for a dark one.
If you use a color it adds another element to the design.
Our eyes are trained to see the black or white rule as neutral.

I agree that the inset, if used, should feature something unseen in the larger photo.
Better than the cropped handle that is shown, a top down view of the tapered tang would be a better choice.

Make the knife the star.
The sheath the co-star
They fill the screen and lead the show.
The other views, whether insets with rules or blended into the background, are the members of the supporting cast.
Those supporting cast members must be arranged so that they support the stars, not fight with them for attention.

*(Which brings us to another element of design.
Balance...
Balance between positive and negative spaces.
I'm sure a search for those terms would have a better explanation than I can type.
Good design has rhythm... a balancing act between what's there and not there... that keeps our eye moving about the image, taking in all of the elements.)

I hope this helps and gives you something to think about.

It's late, I've copied, pasted and moved thoughts about. I hope it resembles coherent thought

Buddy, as always, your photos...

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM

Barbara - You're doing great! I know that happy feeling one gets after learning how to do something new in Photoshop. WooHoo!

Ebbtide - Thanks for the compliment but more importantly, thanks for sharing your observations and real-world Photoshop tips with us. Your expertise in graphic design is so valuable for those of us who are self-taught and operate on the "learn by doing" principle. Much appreciated!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Steel Addict

Buddy,

Thanks for the compliment. I had been working on it for a while and I just could not get it to cooperate. I finally figured out what I needed to do. I did manage to get a pretty clean extract on the knife and I will put some more time and effort in to future projects.

On a side note. I had a serious health issue in Feb. 2008 where I almost died. I had 35 blood clots in both lungs with one completely blocking the left ventrical to my heart. This is my second bout with blood clots so I am on lifetime (rat poison). I am not allowed to sit for long periods of time and I have been bad lately spending too much time on the computer and not enough time exercising. The Dr. called me a miracle as most people succumb to 1 blood clot. I feel very lucky to be alive and glad to participate in this forum. Needless to say, I need to do fast Photoshop work and appreciate all the help that has been given.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Well you take care of yourself BT.
Poco a poco.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Ebbtide.

Whoops I am back on the computer, but I had to print something for Mike. He is going to his first knife show in Eugene, Oregon on April 17-19, so I have been helping him get ready. I have been running around for the last 2 hours or so, so I get a few minutes to sit.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 PM

Barbara - Gee, what a challenge you've had. Computer time is an issue for so many people these days. I have to take breaks and rest my eyes as well as get up and get the blood flowing again in the old legs. To reduce the chance of clotting in the lower legs during lengthy computer sessions I often flex and extend my feet so the muscles contract around the veins. I've also thought of raising my computer gear higher so I have the option of standing while I work, as well as sitting (on a high chair or stool). Many people who have to spend lots of time behind a desk experiment with this option and it might be a good one for you too.

Tags
knife