MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-23-2001, 08:31 PM
joe41272

etching logos

Has anyone ever tried putting their logo on a blade by putting wax or similar substance on the blade, scratching their logo into the wax (and metal) and then putting ferric chloride on the scratched area? Did it work? Is there a better way to etch your logo without purchasing an expensive etcher? I'd love to be able to do my logo with a system similar to Loveless's but I have no idea how to start or which etching system to buy. A customer is buying me an etcher in exchange for a knife, but I don't know which one to get that'll a) make good sharp logos and b) be easy to use. Any suggestions? Please excuse my fortyeleven questions.
Old 09-23-2001, 11:05 PM
William

Joe, I have heard of covering with wax, scratching your logo in, then using a 6V DC battery and salt water to etch your logo. I also have heard of doing the same but with battery acid.

I never tried it myself, by the time I heard about it I had already ordered a Personalizer Plus.

I have had good luck with this machine. The only suggestions I have are to get a machine that both etchs and marks. The etch eats metal out, the mark deposits a black oxide in the etched out mark. Also try a couple of test pieces first and time both etch and mark for consitant results. It also helps to have a buffer handy to to hit your mark and clean up any cloudieness.

Also I would suggest having a set of stencils made, as they are much neater than the stencil roll that is availible.

A good place to check is Sheffields Knife Makers Supply, they have some very resonable priced machines and supplies.

I am sure others can come up with more and better soluitions, but this works for me.
Old 09-24-2001, 11:16 AM
Knifemaker01

Joe; I too tried all the cost saving methods, but ended up getting an etcher and stencils, and have never regretted it. I got one of Ron Claiborne's machine, and find the price and quality is great. Talk about bang for the buck!
At Ron's (and several others) suggestion, I get my stencils from Marking Methods. There is a slight charge for the initial artwork, but they work very well, in combination with Ron's machine. Don't let marking methods talk you into using the yellow stencils. The green are much better! If you want good crisp marks, without breaking the bank, please follow this tried and true method.

Steve
www.stevescutlery.com
Old 09-24-2001, 02:24 PM
Don Cowles

What Steve said.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:03 AM
Steelej

etching logos

I used to use shellac gasket cement mixed with xerox toner, allowed to almost dry and then scratched away with a needle and fine blade. Then feric chloride or hydrochloric acid etch.
Old 10-07-2001, 07:01 AM
Steelej

etching logos

Are Marking Methods still making logoo stencils?
Old 10-07-2001, 01:53 PM
Don Cowles

Yep.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:21 PM
Ray Rogers

Etching logos

I use an Etch-O-Matic, available from Sheffield's and others for under $60. I use it with the Marking Methods stencils and it works great. It does etch and mark. also.

Tags
blade, knife