MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-24-2001, 11:39 AM
Kevin Miller

First Attempt at Hollow Grinding

I thought I would try a Loveless Drop Point as that is the type shown in the Loveless and Barney book "How to Make Knives". I believe in the book Mr. Loveless uses a ten inch contact wheel as opposed to an eight inch wheel which I used.

For what it's worth, here are a couple of scans.

Old 10-24-2001, 12:23 PM
Don Cowles

Looks very clean for a first crack at it, Kevin. I assume you used a workrest. I don't know how wide your blade stock is, but a 10" wheel would have allowed you to gind closer to the spine -if that were what you wanted to do. Keep on truckin'- you're lookin' good!
Old 10-24-2001, 05:55 PM
MJHKNIVES

Nothing wrong with that for a first attempt,or a twentieth for that matter.You're right,Loveless uses a 10" wheel,and what Don said.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:56 PM
Kevin Miller

Thanks for the comments guys.

Don - I didn't use the work rest. I supported the blade with my thumb and forefinger as suggested in the "How to Make Knives" book. I found it harder to control the blade with the left hand as I am right handed

The blade is one and a half inches wide and 3/16th inch thick. I wanted to have the grind lines close to the spine - like the exaple in the book, but didn't realize that he was using a ten inch wheel.
Old 10-24-2001, 08:35 PM
ERIC ELSON

Nice work Kevin, I hope my first hollow grinds look that good...that is if I ever get the equiptment to do them ...)

I always hated grinding the right side of the blade (my weak hand ) it always frustrated me to have a nice clean grind on one side and then fumble around trying to get something close on the weak side.

The soloution that works for me is to always grind on my weak side first.
Doing it this way I has made it easier to get matching grind lines on either side, also I've found that my "weak"side isn't so weak anymore.

Ayways be sure to post the finished product when its done!
looking forward to seeing it.

Eric
Old 10-26-2001, 03:01 PM
MJHKNIVES

Kevin,even a 10" wheel wont grind to the spine of a 11/2" blade without rocking the blade.You might want to try 1 "-1 1/16" blades next time.If memory serves me correctly,a 10" wheel will grind 1 1/16" in 3/16" stock without having to rock it.

Tags
blade, knife, knives