MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2002, 10:44 AM
dogman

Dyeing Stag

Steve,
I love the rich amber color you get with your stag. Do you dye it yourself?
Old 01-10-2002, 12:53 PM
srjknives

Nope. I've tried two or three idfferent ways, but with zero success. I gave up about 20 yrs. ago.

Just send it to Joe Culpepper and he'll handle it. Cost is $3 per piece nd they do the amber color every week.

Realize that they come back covered with the dyeing medium and need to be wiped off, vigorously and thoroughly with an old towel. Use some rubber or disposable gloves, ulesss you like your hands dyed red. I'm not kidding. The stag really needs wiping off, a lot. By the itme the knife is done, it's pretty much all cleaned up. I even use the plastic gloves when I'm grinding it to thickness, that dye is prevalent almost to the end. No big deal, just one of the things to be taken care of. Doesn't hurt you, it just makes your hands red.

Also, the sets that matched before dyeing may or may not match afterwards. You can match them up to something, eventually.

This dyeing is one of the best things that has come along. Now if we can just get some more stag to come along.......

There are some who look upon dyed stad with disdain, most people have an opinion on things. However, it's my belief that when we get it (or used to get it) from India, no matter what the importer, it's already been dyed before it was exported. If I'm wrong, someone please advise.

Joe Culpepper's Mother of Pearl Co. number is: 828-524-6842
Fax: 828-369-7809
His web site is at: www.knifehandles.com/

As you probably know, they are GREAT to deal with.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:55 PM
dogman

I edited the link so it goes to the proper main page

I didn't even realize Joe did that. So much for me being the On-Top-Of-Things-Informed-WebMaster
Old 01-11-2002, 12:26 AM
srjknives

Hmmmmm...

Who did that web page for him, anyways?

Tags
knife