MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 10-06-2001, 12:11 AM
John Frankl

Drilling holes when tapering tangs

A related question: is it easier to drill holes for the scales when the tang is still of uniform thickness? It seems like it would be. How do all of you deal with drilling holes in tapered tangs?

Thanks,

John
Old 10-06-2001, 05:21 AM
Don Cowles

Speaking for myself, absolutely drill all your holes *before* you taper the tang. If you drill them afterward, they will be at an angle to the axis of the blade, and pins or rivets will bind in a close-fitting hole.
Old 10-06-2001, 05:28 AM
dogman

Drill the holes before you taper the tang. It won't hurt anything and it is just that much less metal to remove when you are hogging off steel.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:50 AM
srjknives

Makes most sense to drill before tapering for the above resons. Also, some makers use a stick with a pin protruding out of the end, which goes into one of these tang screw holes, to support the blade/tang while tapering on the platen.

I get more control using my thumb with a thick glove, or even with the cut-off end of another glove's finger inside, to make a double layer.

Whatever works for you.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:38 AM
Steelej

Drilling holes when tapering tangs

Because I forge tangs I have to drill ready tapered. I just use a parallel sided scrap of wood and raise one end up on a suitable spare drill bit to bring an imaginary line down the middle of the taper angle, parallel to the drill table. Works evry time!
Old 10-08-2001, 10:42 AM
srjknives

Thanks.

Actually, with the loose fit of the handle screws through the tang, you can probably get away with drilling after tapering. I've done it before for whatever reason. But a perpendicular hole would be the best way to go, if you have a choice.

Tags
blade, forge, knife