MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 PM
rawcustom

Wire Inlay options and sources for metals

I'm looking to start practicing wire inlay on wood handles. I've searched and read what I can find on here and have a few more questions.

1. Metal options?
I know you can use silver, but what about pure silver vs. sterling? Stainless? Copper? Bronze? Brass? Aluminum? Other? Pros and Cons?

2. Source? (The most frustrating part I've encountered.)
Many recommendations I've read, I can't find. E.g. One post said 'half hard' pure silver bezel from Rio Grande jewelry. Well I've searched their site high and low and can only find 'dead soft' for silver. Can you please post your exact material and sources? It's also fun that some list everything in metric, other fractional and yet others by gauge. Yes I can translate across them but My heads usually spinning enough trying to understand the jewelry lexicon that it only adds to the confusion.

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Skilled

Great questions, I'll be anxiously awaiting responses!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Skilled

RawCustom, here are a couple links off the ABS site from 2 of the best silver wire artisans around. The last link is for Hagstoz where I know a few who get their material from. Jay Hendrickson also mentions some of the types of metal you can use for inlay. Hope this is a good start!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

http://americanbladesmith.com/upload...re-Keeslar.pdf

http://americanbladesmith.com/upload...endrickson.pdf

http://www.hagstoz.com

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Steel Addict

I would recommend you find the book "Handles and Guards" by MS Joe Keeslar. His wire inlay work is impeccable and the book has a good explanation of how to make your own tools, the wire size to get and where to get it. Pure silver is softer than sterling silver and is easier to work. "Work hardening" happens as non-ferrous metal is processed to the desired shape by using a rolling mill. After the metal goes through the rolling mill 3 times (IIRC) the metal will become 'tougher and springy'. The metal is then annealed (heated and then quickly quenched) to return the metal to original state of ductability.

A refinery will sell metal according to 'hardness'. "Dead soft" refers to metal that has been through the rolling mill one time, 'half hard' is when the metal has been run through the rolling mill two times. "Fully hard" refers to metal that has been run through the rolling mill three times. Each hardness has different working properties. I would suggest 'dead soft' wire for inlay.

I am starting out with pure copper wire as silver is expensive. I haven't sourced it in the size I want yet. I'll let you all know what I find as far as copper goes.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM
rawcustom

Thanks, I'm pretty oriented with work hardening of metals, and have found plenty of information regarding tooling and technique online. The processing definitions of dead soft, half hard, fully hard is helpful.

As I stated in my post, my unknowns at this stage are types of metals and sourcing said metal.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Steel Addict

I have ruled out any ferrous metals for inlay. They are not 'soft' enough to easily follow the curves of the inlay design. Additionally. I would eliminate any alloy with a high percentage of nickle...it is too hard to bend easily. I also think that aluminum would be too brittle to bend easily.

Pure copper, fine or sterling silver would be my choice to start with. Sourcing...I haven't looked yet, but I will report my findings when I do have time to search...
Old 04-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Skilled

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssuppl...cart/agora.cgi This is 3' of sterling .010 thick. $9.75
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search...=silver%20wire Fine silver wire .010 x 36" $19.99

You might want to see if you can find some .008 thick. .010 is good for inlay on guns, but .008 might be better on knife grips.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

Check out this site for some reasonable prices on fine metals, i included the link to a few sizes of wire
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/999...t/101001?Pos=1
Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 AM
rawcustom

Thanks for all the responses. I think I have found a starting point with metals. One last question though, anyone attempt inlaying bloodwood?

I'll practice with maple, but interested if bloodwood is an option.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Master

we started this conversation at the end of sunday night chat..........I'll bring it up again and maybe we can elaborate some more of supplies and how to's !!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Steel Addict

Anyone tried rosewood? I am working on a set of gun grips that I would like to do with a little accent of wire inlay.

According to Joe Keesler, the wire should be 27ga. in thickness to work with the tools he shows how to make. This is not a standard flat wire ga. that refiners stock. When I asked the refinery I do business with how much it would cost me to have this size milled is astronomical. I have the ability to produce this size in small (about 2 ft.) quantities if anyone is interested. If there is interest, I will figure out 'the brother' price.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Skilled

27 ga., .016, is a bit too thick for most common wire work. .010 is a good all around size, with .008, and even.005 for small designs.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
rawcustom

I found this on the bay. Not exactly what I'm looking for but I think it should work well for practice as it's cheap enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321348729967
Old 08-10-2016, 01:05 AM

Unhappy Sources for inlay wire?

I tried several times to get a hold of Hagstoz to place an order. They are apparently out of business (or at least not customer friendly).

I think the stuff that Track of the Wolf sells is too thick for fine work on small handles, the bezel available through every jewelry supply is to thick too (it is designed for a totally different purpose).

Anyone have another source they'd like to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
RawCustom, here are a couple links off the ABS site from 2 of the best silver wire artisans around. The last link is for Hagstoz where I know a few who get their material from. Jay Hendrickson also mentions some of the types of metal you can use for inlay. Hope this is a good start!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

http://americanbladesmith.com/upload...re-Keeslar.pdf

http://americanbladesmith.com/upload...endrickson.pdf

http://www.hagstoz.com
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM

I have a rolling mill that will creat whatever you need. you can sent wire or I will send mill. your choice I would ask that you pay the shipping. I'll create it for free. let me know through pm. Fred

Tags
abs, art, bee, brass, common, design, file, forge, guards, guns, how to, knife, make, make your own, maple, material, metal, mill, post, quenched, stainless, supplies, supply, tools, wood