MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Steel Addict

Smile New Belts!: A friendly reminder

Last night I was getting ready to do some hollow grinds on a few blades I had profiled out and were ready to roll, I grabbed a belt that was used but still felt like it had good life left. I began grinding, (keep in mind this was cpm154) everything was going great. I got one side done and flipped it over to begin the other and a little into I just couldn't seem to keep my nice crisp lines. I started to question if I was too tired to be doing this and considered just going to bed and starting fresh later.

Until it dawned on me, I've made this mistake plenty of times before (not nearly as often anymore, I guess that shows some sort of wisdom advancement), so I threw a new belt on. What do you know, my grinding was back to being spot on!

Just wanted to remind a lot of the new guys (and those like myself that try to get the most money out of a product, and sometimes too much) that new, and clean, tools (belts, files, drills) can and will make a huge difference in the product they produce. As I'm sure everyone knows at this point that knife making can be expensive, but sometimes trying to ask too much out of a tool can end up costing you more in the long run if you make a mistake and ruin something.

*steps out of the pulpit*

P.S. There will still be those times when your just not with it, but try to recognize when it's your tools or just you that need a break.

Last edited by WynnKnives; 05-02-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Some of the best advice I've ever received on these forums is to treat your belts like they were free. I use old belts to break the edges off a blade just before I start to grind the main bevel. Then, I change to a new belt to do the bevel grinding. A new belt on every blade ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Steel Addict

I definitely have to agree with you, there is nothing like a new belt. That and "start simple and get good at that first", its always better to have a good looking simple product then a bad looking product that was supposed to be fancy.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Steel Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynnKnives View Post
Last night I was getting ready to do some hollow grinds on a few blades I had profiled out and were ready to roll, I grabbed a belt that was used but still felt like it had good life left. I began grinding, (keep in mind this was cpm154) everything was going great. I got one side done and flipped it over to begin the other and a little into I just couldn't seem to keep my nice crisp lines. I started to question if I was too tired to be doing this and considered just going to bed and starting fresh later.

Until it dawned on me, I've made this mistake plenty of times before (not nearly as often anymore, I guess that shows some sort of wisdom advancement), so I threw a new belt on. What do you know, my grinding was back to being spot on!

Just wanted to remind a lot of the new guys (and those like myself that try to get the most money out of a product, and sometimes too much) that new, and clean, tools (belts, files, drills) can and will make a huge difference in the product they produce. As I'm sure everyone knows at this point that knife making can be expensive, but sometimes trying to ask too much out of a tool can end up costing you more in the long run if you make a mistake and ruin something.

*steps out of the pulpit*

P.S. There will still be those times when your just not with it, but try to recognize when it's your tools or just you that need a break.
That's a GREAT reminder. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes i can't believe how cheap i can be in one area and not blink in another. I am a work in progress in more than one area. But a bad day in the garage is better than a good day at work. Lol
Clay
Old 05-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Skilled

Cool

" a bad day in the garage is better than a good day at work. Lol"

Aman Brother being retired I'll take any bad day in my shop anytime ! However thankfully there are not many bad days in the shop . yet I personaly have many bad days due to neurological,neck,and Back injuries . The Good Lord Blesses me everyday when I get up in the morning / day time .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cro View Post
" a bad day in the garage is better than a good day at work. Lol"

Aman Brother being retired I'll take any bad day in my shop anytime ! However thankfully there are not many bad days in the shop . yet I personaly have many bad days due to neurological,neck,and Back injuries . The Good Lord Blesses me everyday when I get up in the morning / day time .

Sam
Yes he does my friend. I didn't know that till late in life, but it's never ever to late. Those injuries sound like you had an ill spent youth that a couple of 800mg of motrin took care of at the time. Stay well.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Skilled

Claymoore,

No really ill spent youth more like 27 yrs in the Military and yes they did give me 800mg of motrin by the ton rock and drive on is what we always said . If I can help you out I will do my best too do so .

God Bless you and your Family

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cro View Post
Claymoore,

No really ill spent youth more like 27 yrs in the Military and yes they did give me 800mg of motrin by the ton rock and drive on is what we always said . If I can help you out I will do my best too do so .

God Bless you and your Family

Sam
Thank you SAM, back at ya my friend.

Tags
advice, art, back, bevel, blade, blades, files, grinding, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, military, simple, tools