MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Registered

total noob... where do I buy raw steel?

Working on building a belt grinder right now. I got my steel plate parts from polarbearforge.com. Where do I even go to look for a 1 1/2" steel bar though? This doesn't seem like a Lowes or Home Depot item. I'm a woodworker that just started tinkering with some knife making.

Is this something that places like Grainger have? There are huge steel mills here in Canton OH but I doubt I can just buy 3' of steel bar from them :-)

Last edited by nikbrown; 06-09-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Skilled

Welcome Nik, here in Kansas City we have a metal store called Metal By The Foot and there should be a similar place somewhere in Ohio. I bought 2 pieces of 1 1/2" aluminum 22" long to make additional tooling arms for my KMG. They also had steel, brass and bronze but they were to expensive and too heavy for what I needed. I suggest you just check and call around. There has to be a place that non-commercial users can buy from. Good luck!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Hall of Famer

If you can't find anything locally goggle up Metal Depot. They list that size in both steel and aluminum.

When you get to choosing steel to make a blade from, however, they're useless. They just deal with structural stuff. For knife steel try The New Jersey Steel Baron, Admiral Steel, and I think that Southern Steel will sell in small quantities. USA Knife Maker Supply also caries bars of blade steel at a reasonable Price. Then there's Kelly Cupples on the west coast. Actually I shouldn't have been quick to label Metal Depot useless because that is where I got my 1080/1084 piano wire for forge welding but being that you're going to do stock removal you won't be getting into that.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 06-09-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Skilled

Welcome Nik!

I hope you will find this network to be as informative and welcoming as I have! Great people on here. There are several knifemaking websites that sell steel for stock removal. I would offer that you use the seach option to look up prior posts on what type of blade steel you start out with. Also check for knife shows in your area, a lot of suppliers have booths and you can pick through their supplies and feel the material you buy, as opposed to order sight-unseen.

Your ability and equipment to heat treat your blade is going to be a major factor in what steel you choose, Not to mention the main decisions such as design, handle material, grind, edge geometry, what environment the knife will be used in, etc... I learned there is a lot more that goes into making a knife than what I first thought! Heat treat processes and execution are going to dictate factors such as ease of sharpening vs toughness, edge retention, flexibility.... The list goes on...and on...

Short answer to your question;Sheffield knife supply, knife dogs, knife kits, usaknifemaker, admiral steel etc... Google knifemaking supplies and it will lead you to some .coms that will give you options. (Look for cold rolled, and annealed stock) 1070,1084 are good options to start with.

These guys on here are extremely knowledgable, experienced and talented! Invest some time to reading posts and using the search options to look for key words. Ask questions and Don't forget to post pictures to show everyone your projects.

Congradulations and Welcome to the addiction! Good luck sir

Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Tags
art, belt, blade, brass, building, forge, grinder, handle, heat treat, home, kits, knife, knife making, knifemaking, make, making, material, metal, noob, sharpening, steel, store, supplies, supply