MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
rule question

ok....i had no idea what i was getting myself into with this KITH thing question. I don't have a ready source for some recycled materiels and i was wondering if what I had around the house would qualify? I have a short 1 x4 plank of maple with some curl in it left over from my kitchen remodel that i just couldn't throw away. that is probably ok, but here is the big question. i have an 8 inch piece of old 5160 from my original batch of spring materiel that i bought from a local structural steel dealer when i first got started. I have been using this piece for the last 4 or 5 months to heat up my oil for quenching. Now it probably has some funky grain, but would that piece qualify as "recycled materiel" for purposes of this excercise?
Joe Mandt
NT Name Not Approved Yet Mandt
Old 10-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

If it was made to be a spring, then making a knife out of it is technically recycling any way you cut it . Because it was bought and paid for it technically isn't scrounged, but I say go for it. You can always look at it from the angle that it was scrounged from its oil heating duties.

If it doesn't work out due to months of thermal cycling, you can always take a hacksaw and go 'scrounge' a foot or so of bedrail from one of your neighbors.

adam
Old 10-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
scrounge v. recycle

i was wondering about that. other KITH's i have seen specifically talk about scrounging, but this one said RECYCLED (i think) is the difference not so subtle? lol i may have an old bed rail somwhere. that would be good because the only scrap i have lying around that wasn't bought for forging is the stake from my dogs run that he bent over.....i guessthat means it was cheap mild steel....lol
Joe

Tags
forging, knife