MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see discussion on more than just sheath making
YES 33 97.06%
NO 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2006, 07:22 AM

I would like to see more as long as it applies either directly or indirectly to sheath making.
I have tried to follow-up some leads on how to make a pouch sheath for fixed blade. This must be a trade secret.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to JEDNMUDGE Send a message via Yahoo to JEDNMUDGE
pleeeeeeeees HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Morrissey
Olddog--don't believe that myth that old dogs can't learn new tricks. I can not see that anyone would be out of line in their quest to learn more skills in leather craft. Leather has carried knives for thousands of years and is unseparable to this day. One does not question the artistic embellishment that is often used on knives such as engraving, carving, scrimshaw, lost wax casting and others. Non of the afore mentioned are as important as the ability and necessity of safely carrying that embellished knife. The artistic embellishment of leather is in it self as ancient as the ability to fashion a blade. As a moderator on this forum, you can be assured that I will not shake a finger at you for asking questions falling into this category. --Sandy--
I confess to being an old dog an i'm straining at the leash,,,lets get it on,I shall certainly be in the library from now on.I am on the finishing end of my knife Forge Ican't get to my anvile soon enough.The only thing I am concerned about is time so move it folks lets have some INFO on sheaths n knives
A serious Wannab
jednmudge
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast

Don't have much to say about sheaths, but here's a link to a tutorial on making buckskin bags and pouches on my web site (link available on first page). I originally designed them for Boy Scout projects requiring a minimum of equipment and materials.

http://www.sterlingsculptures.com/

Similar to these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medicine_Bag.jpg (31.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Medicine_Pouch.jpg (24.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by tsterling; 09-04-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Master

Send a message via MSN to ArtinNC
I'm still trying to find my way around here. It's still a sheath but benchrest shooters can not leave the bolt in the gun except when at fireing line, so they need a way to carry the bolt. And most of this is show, so a nicely tooled bolt sheath would be a eye catcher.. Art
Old 12-09-2006, 06:41 AM

Location: in the Loir Valley in France in the countryside in a 350 years old small farmhouse that I am refurbishing
Send a message via Yahoo to patricweill
I would love to know more about making a arrow quiver, eventualy with a knif sheath included in it , I am a bow hunter and I need both the quiver and the knife , so why not combining LOL
Patrick
Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Registered

Display cases in leather for custom knives .
Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Skilled

Sterling's tutorials

Appreciate you sharing those tutorials, tsterling. - Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

You're welcome, Jim!
Old 02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Steel Addict

I would like to see more details on tooling just simple stuff like belts. The old period correct way of attaching the buckle to the belt. Some close in pictures that show how to stitch and end the stitch would also help. I'm not sure I end the stitch properly. Your video says stitch back but do you tie a knot etc? Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 AM
Registered

I would like to learn how to make a leather zippered mask like the one my mom wore with all of my "uncles" as a child...wait a minute scratch that.
Seriously I like the idea of leather knife pouches
Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

Yes
Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
When this thread was first started it was intended to be a sharing venture where people could profer their thoughts and share with others. It seems that the respondants were prolific with requests but shy on offered information. Most of the requests could already be located in this forum with a minimum of effort---also sadly lacking. This thread was started over five years ago with the best of intentions and I still believe that it has merit. Let us re-open for discussion and when a request is made, please be specific . This field is rather large and a generic answer would not be the proper way to handle a submitted question.

I am rather limited in the info I have to offer but my dear friend, Chuck Burrows, is a fountainhead of knowledge. Due to that knowledge he is often carrying a backload that prohibits him from answering all requests. Please do not give up on us as others here have the ability to answer most questions and in a timely fashion. I feel that this forum can be very useful to anyone involved in the crafting of leather and not only the sheathmaker.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Howdy Sandy and you're right - if I seem to have been remiss in answering questions it is due to limited time - after a dose of the flu, followed by pneumonia last winter, and a recent bout of the swine flu, I'm way behind in filling my business orders (thank the good Lord for understanding and patient customers!) and business has to come before anything else - I do check in here at least twice a day, but don't always have time to answer immediately and tehnthere is teh dreaded CRS ........

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast

Hi dad I was woundering if this was a good place to ask for help with a problem.I wa geven back a leather shell belt tthat my great grandad gave me when i was 7 I am now 60 and the belt looks as rough as I do.is there away to bring bak the live in old gun leather.I know you tought me how to stitch and fix some things,but you need to give me a liitle me guidence or maybe Chuck can with some old western hide.thanks George.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Hey George,

I ran into Dad at the Blade Show today, don't know if he is stayed overnight or was heading back to the mountains. I will be back at the show tomorrow, hope to see you there.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives