MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 05-22-2001, 07:27 AM
Dana Acker

STOP THAT INFERNAL CLANGING!

I got an e-mail from a Paul Enberg, who visits the forum, but might be having problems logging in, with a handy tip. If your anvil is ringing loudly, try hanging a leather pouch full of sand from the horn. Thanks, Paul. If any of us can be of help in getting you onto the forum, give a yell. We'll do what we can.
Old 05-23-2001, 10:09 AM
BlacksmithRick

I keep about 10 feet of chain wrapped around my anvil waist to dampen noise.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:29 AM
Raymond Richard

I was able to stop the ringing with a round magnet placed under the heel with a little duck tape and used some heaver steel strap and lags to hold it down more secure. Did find out that it is indeed a Trenton anvil. Found these numbers on the edge of the base under the horn. 150 which I'm sure is the weight and to the right of that was 183951, the five was larger than the other numbers. Anybody have any idea what the last set of numbers mean. I'm thinking the year and the 51 being its production order. Ray
Old 05-23-2001, 01:23 PM
The Flaming Blade

London pattern anvils ring because of the "T" shape that they have. The shock runs down and then out the horn and heel. They are designed for general blacksmithing work, thus the horn, hardy and pritchel holes. They are a "multi-purpose" anvil. The classic cutlers anvil is generally just a block of steel. The symetry of the design is more suited to bladesmithing. Generally they are taller than they are wide and mounted upright in the ground or a tree stump. They do not ring at all! They make more of a "click" sound. I use a 5 inch round one that is set in a bucket of concrete for most of the hogging and heavy work. I keep the London pattern clean, for finishing work or if I need the horn, hardy or pritchel holes. expage.com/taigoo
Old 05-24-2001, 07:10 AM
Dana Acker

Hey Blade, glad you dropped by.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:01 AM
The Flaming Blade

Thanks Dana. Did you get that PC virus taken care of? Jeff and I have been doing jewelry. Too hot to forge big, up to 102 the other day. I'm sendng you a package today. How's the toe?
Old 05-24-2001, 08:07 AM
Dana Acker

Still attached, but I can't wear a shoe yet on the foot. You've got a package coming too--but it'll be another week or so. I got behind, but I'm back on my..."foot" again.

Tags
blade, forge, knife