MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 09-12-2005, 05:18 AM

Minature model#14 with his big brouther

Hi fellow randall knife nut''s these are my newest addition to my Randall collection. I'm not sure if if it will help the value, but both knives have the same seral #1757. I would like to know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010077.JPG-randall 34.jpg (32.6 KB, 135 views)

Old 09-12-2005, 07:59 AM

Hi Pathfinder!

I don't claim to be any kind of an expert when it comes to attributing value to after market RMK, but I do have an opinion concerning your question based on the following facts:

1) The #14 is one of RMK' most popular models.

2) There will be a total 3,000 of the mini #14s produced.

3) A matched set of any Randall miniature and the original, with both having the same serial number is desirable amongst most collectors.

4) There will probably be many matched sets of the model #14 when the production run of mini is completed.

5) Lower serial numbers are viewed as more desirable by some collectors.

Therefore, I believe that it will probably take a very long time before there is any substantial increase in value in the your set.

However, it sure is cool to have it! :cool:

I'm sure others may have different opinions and more light to shed.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 AM

Minature 14 with big brother

Moosehead, once again think you postive feed back. I'm a pack rat and probale will not sell them, but it good to have some one's eles's opionion. Although, my wife has mentiioned that I have to many knives. I do collect other knives. I live within 50 mile radius from there MS's and a JS and I visit their shope and I have hard time not buying one if it catchs my eye

Old 09-12-2005, 11:12 AM

Pathfinder - That's a great pair you've got there!

Moose is surely right-on in his assessment. The variable I see is, though there could ultimately be a number of these sets out there (I hope to do the same myself with one or both of my mini 14s), at any given time there might be only 1,2 or a few available for purchase anywhere on the planet. So, as with anything collectors might desire, timing could affect value.

To further go out on a limb, I wonder if there could be a sort of bi-modal curve with something like this. For example - yours is the first pair I've seen. I'm sure there are others but - not that I've seen because it's pretty early on in the process for this kind of thing. There are 'early adopters' and 'late adopters' in other areas (it is well known that some doctors prescribe new drugs as soon as they are out, others wait until after considerable experience is gained by colleagues before prescribing the new drug - two humps in the curve over time with peaks early and late). Should this turn out to be true there could be higher prices paid early on for a pair like this, then the price could drop and level off for a while and finally go up and up. In fact, if I'm not mistaken we've already seen this with the mini 14. I remember that among the first few that were delivered - some were 'flipped' quickly for quite a good profit. Then as more and more were delivered the re-sale prices came down. It remains to be seen what the long term holds but I'm certain most believe ultimately the price will be high.

I don't have personal experience with matched pairs like this one but I remember paying about $320 for a mini 25 and selling it last year for $1,200. If the low number rule holds true I could be in luck as my mini 14s are #s 173 & 745.

Thanks for showing us your great looking pair of # 14s!

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Tags
knife, knives