MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Living Legend

Talking Hell, another Quik-Snap sheath

This is one of my favourite sheaths. Don't know why I haven't made another one yet. Similar to the Quik-Snap shoelace retention cord mentioned on my other thread.

The front-piece of leather was very thick, looked like elephant hide (actually cow) and fully waxed . A bit dark but I think you can see the leather carving with a leather grooving tool - dyed the grooves with a Q-tip. Rest was regular tan leather dyed a dark red to match the handle. The belt loop panel at the back that holds the adjustable snap retention is Kydex moulded and laminated onto leather.

The knife - 4" O-1 carbon chisel ground clip, edge quench, filework, mini-guard, handles of mortised, mated Burgundy Rosewood Dymondwood with invisible seams. Hidden tang is 4" long.

Howzat ? I'm going crazy posting pics since the good Mr Primos taught me how. Took lots of editing to get this going. Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)

Last edited by Jason Cutter; 02-26-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Again welcome Jason!

That carving is ultra cool. I've mistakenly grooved the face of my leather a lot of times but NEVER thought of it as a carving tool.
You can teach old dogs new tricks.

Quote:
dyed the grooves with a Q-tip
I had to laugh. All good leather workers I've ever met come up with makeshift tools (it's part of the fun), but get a good watercolor brush or two my good man! Just keep them clean and they last you a long time.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:34 PM

Jason -- that is the most innovative idea I've seen in a LOOOONG time for a retaining strap !! Can't tell you how much I like it. Just in one day Chuck shows me how to integrate stiffer leather for a throat-keeper, and now you throw the Quick-Snap out here. As we used to say when I was a young Southern California beach bum a century and a half ago, "I'm totally stoked". Thanks for the inspiration guys,
MtMike
Oops -- didn't mean to neglect the great knives, in particular the superb file work. Nice variety in your work too !

Old 02-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Mike where at in So Cal? I used to ride the waves in the Ventura and Santa Barbara area. My favorite was Rincon on a good winter day! Talk about stoked. I was a belly boarder mainly so when those curls started topping 10" feet the drop down that steep face was something else and laying back in the tube was like magic!
I was just a kid of 15 when I first met George Greenough the Granddaddy of the belly/boogie board at Rincon and he convinced me to give it a try.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:21 AM

Yes, George gave a different meaning to the term "knife edge" Who knew back then that the innocent Morey Boogie would be such a threat to the world order as we knew it ! I was one of the original infamous "Wedge Men" of the world-famous Newport Beach Wedge, arguably the best pure body-surfing break in the world. Still go back for a few weeks in the summer to catch a big "southern hemi" swell, rode some 15-18 foot hurricane swells last July. I still own 2 pairs of the original Voit UDT Duck Foot fins -- an old surfin' buddy is bringing the UDTs back in 21st century form -- original molds but new materials and injection technologies. KNIFE CONTENT: much as a knifemaker uses a Rockwell test for hardness, softer materials can also benefit from specific density tests, and the new UDTs are tested at the foot pocket, blades, and web using the exact same type of instrument familiar to bladesmiths.
Kowabunga, dude -- comin' down
Mike

Old 02-27-2003, 09:26 AM

Back to the Quick-Snap -- Hey Schwert, you listening? How about a short braid where Jason has the shoelace? It owld have to be adjustable (and replaceable !), but sure would look great. With thanks to Jason,of course !!
PS: Chuck, sending you an email with a bit of beach stuff
Mike

Old 02-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Steel Addict

I see a couple of ways to make a Quick-Snap in braid.

You could start with a solid piece of leather where the snap is placed and cut strings from this to braid for the over the guard string. This could be flat or round braid depending. Hooking this in at the back of the sheath could be done like Jason has done through a hole or through a flap. Once the braid was pass through the hole it could be backbraided to secure. This would be replacable.

Alternatively the leather with snap could have an oval slot cut in it and flat braid brought out from this. Terminated like above or a number of other ways.

Braid may really be nice here. Cool to take the 3 colors and make a braid to match.

A very neat idea to eliminate the a stiff keeper strap. The only real difficulty is getting the length and tension correct and making sure it was replacable easily.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:33 PM

"The only real difficulty is getting the length and tension correct"
That is the hardest problem as I see it. Could a braid be done around a center core of non-stretching material, say a twisted nylon? Jason's Quick Snap is almost perfect from a practical aspect -- functional, totally adjustable, easily replaceable, and cheap. If it looks good, as I'm sure the braid would, but doesn't meet the other criteria might as well stay with straps.
BTW Jason-- another adaptation I've seen is similar to yours, but used a chicago screw on the back, anchored in the sheath body, so the whole strap could be replaced.
Life is good today, waiting for some glue to dry, readingthe mail, and enjoying a 5" Don Capitano, handrolled in Ybor City
Mike

Old 02-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Steel Addict

Round braid of 6+ strings can be done over a core of any flexible material.

I Think even using a 4 string braid cord, that is looped and attached just like the shoelace would work. This could be retied as it stretched.

I really think a flat braid of 3 strings could be looped through the snap leather slot then brought to a 6 plait round with a center core of heavy stitching cord. Bring this round braid back to the side of the sheath through a hole or better through a pair of holes so the string could be adjusted as tight as needed, (like the Randall paracord hole tie.) If this was braided very tight in kangaroo it would probably last a very long time.

This would be fun.

Jason send me a snap flap piece with a 8mm wide x 3mm slot, I will put a string on it and see how you like it.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:15 PM
Living Legend

Tnanks for the offer, Schwert.

I'm in the midle of a couple of things right now, but the braiding sounds good. I actually failed the knotting tests in my Scouting days, so I admire how people can actually get 3 or more pieces of cord and make them go thatway, then thatway ...
I hear kangaroo plait is extremely strong. Its used down here for their legendary bullwhips.

I'll give you an email when I'm ready.

But this is why I want to post my stuff. I always reckon whatever neat ideas I can come up with, they're either not new or theres always something else that can be done to spruce things up or make it work even better.

And thanks for the cool comments. Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 02-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Steel Addict

Jason,

Just so you know I am not a pro at any of this leatherwork, just an interested amateur. I have done a couple of trifles for Mike and myself.

I would be happy to give it a try if you want however.

Currently none of my posts about my braiding have images (host died a miserable death) so you cannot see them. But if you promised not to laugh loud enough for me to hear all the way from Oz you can see a braided bolo I made with an incomplete amateur sheath project over at KF.

None of you other guys go here! (knife from Australia)

Jason Only, page 2
Old 02-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Randy if you send me your braidwork pics I'll be glad to host them. Just send a couple per email and at 20 minute intervals so it won't bog me down. I've got plenty of room and when they are up you can go edit your tutorial. It's too good to leave like that.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Steel Addict

Chuck,

Thanks, will do a bit at a time.

Randy
Old 02-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Got your first batch already. I'll wait to get them all and when I've got em uploaded I'll give you a shout with the urls.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, I'm editing now with what I think the url's will be, but will finalize after my last send.

Thanks so much for this, of all the junk I have posted this is what I am most proud of.

Did find one bobble which I will edit in after....

Tags
blade, fixed blade, knife, knives