MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Skilled

Pictures of Trackrock Fall 2008

Great weekend! Charlie and I braved the gas shortages and made the trip to Blairsville for the Trackrock Hammer-in hosted by Carl Rechsteiner (CREX). We found plenty of gas, you just had to look a little harder for it in some places.

The Trackrock Campground is a fantastic piece of Georgia real-estate and the hospitality the Alexander?s extend would be hard to match anywhere. I try really hard to not miss one of these hammer-ins. There is such a vast amount of information wrapped up in the participants you can't help but learn something useful. I missed seeing some of the regulars that couldn't make it, but there were some people there for the first time that added to the crowd. Good friends, good food, hot forges and ringing anvils, just doesn't get much better.

Ruth working on some leather while Boone looks on.

Rick Lowe giving some pointers.

About five forges in a row. You can see three in the picture.

Dennis Bradley giving some tips on file work.

John Costa giving Scott a few pointers and staying out of the way.

This is what it is all about.

Charlie found a quiet spot to do a little carving on some stag for a handle.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Skilled

Have to totally agree with everything Harry said! Great weekend with a bunch of great people! Here's some more pictures of the folks and the event.

First one is Brother John Costa taking a much deserved break.

Carl is showing Joshua some fine points on the anvil. This young man gave us some super bagpipe music after lunch on Sat. He also made two very nice blades.

Another young fellow and his dad getting addicted to hot steel by Carl.

Finished knife and a very happy guy!

Mike Brown also gave a bunch of time helping teach.

Sandy and Harry sharing their thoughts.

Randy Scott took time and hoooked another victim into our craft.

Randy, Charlie, and Scott exchanging ideas.

Don Adams behind the forge hard at it.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Hey RLo, getting nothing but blank boxes saying "Image moved or deleted" Photobucket.
Maybe I'm the only one.
Thanks for sharing the pictures Harry (kinda looks like Charlie is hiding a nap under those
magnifiers to me).
Had a lot of new faces from far away places this time which is always good - Western Alabama, Florida, Savannah, N.Carolina, Virginia, Miss. & Tenn. and of course from all over Georgia.
I'm glad everyone that could, made it. Gas thing only kept a few away. Couldn't have gotten a better fit weather wise. Enjoyed visiting with everyone.

Best of all seeing my good friends stepping up instructing/demoing. The folks you helped will never forget the time and effort given so that they could experience bladesmithing up close and personal.
*********THAT IS THE REASON FOR TRACKROCK HI's (and why I do it)!! **********
Of course getting to spend a weekend with some of my closest friends is truly a bonus!

A special thanks to Master Joshua for playing the pipes for us. He is a very talented young man, pretty well stopped all other activities while giving us ruffians a taste of culture. Perfect setting and percect music a true blessing to all. I think I bartered well on this one. He is also becoming quite good with hammer, fire and steel as well.

What a great time!
Randy and I had a very relaxed afternoon of forging yesterday once the smoke and dust cleared. We actually stopped, packed, cleaned the shop and had time to sit and chill - before dark!

Hope everyone had a good time and made it home safely.
Looking at the end of March for the Spring TR edition - TBA.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 09-29-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Steel Addict

Empty boxes are all i am getting also . SCOTT

Old 09-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Skilled

Sorry about the red "x's". I've got pictures, but something must have caused a glitch. Let me know if they're not up now.
Rick

Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

You guys are right on point... It doesn't get any better. The food, the ringing anvils, the food, the fellowship, the food. Joshua on the "Pipes" was great. And as always a learning experience. And did I mention the food....Thanks Anthony...
Don

Georgia Knifemakers Guild
ABS Apprentice
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Skilled

Looking at the pics makes me feel like I was there. Sure hating to miss it and it really looks like yall were having a great time.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Skilled

Wade next time we will mail you one of our used napkins. That way you can not only see what you missed, but you can smell those fantastic, smoked BBQ ribs while you look at the pictures. Hope everything is going to suit you. Like I said before we missed seeing a lot of you guys. I'll have to check to see if I have any more pictures to post for ya.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Skilled

A few more pictures from Trackrock.

This is a vise that Dennis was using to do his filework. I have got to make one like this for my bench.

Joshua putting the finishing touches on a nice looking blade. If you can put names to the faces in the picture, please chime in.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 PM

In RLo's string of pics:
1- Little Brother John 2- covered 3- covered 4- Broc and his dad 5- Broc and his first knife 6- the fellas with Mike are Justin and George from Savannah, they made a couple of knives each 7- That's Dan Mink checking on the BBQ, off to the left of Harry and Dad 8- that's Bill Chaney and his son, Michael, working under Randy's supervision, son is working on his Eagle rank 9- That's Ruth Simmons, our "Copper Smith" and George in the background 10- That's Col. Mike Steele behind Don.

Harry's second set of pics: #2- That's Joshua's Mom watching. She has raised this young man very well. He has the desire and potential to be a very good bladesmith. That's Mike McCoy and wife in the back on the right watching Joshua.
#3- Russ Brown (SC) forging with Frank Alexander, our host, looking on (this is his barn we're in).

I think it's pretty obvious to all who have been following this thread - We Trackrock Hammerheads have quite a good time and touch a lot of people in the process. Can it get much better? Always does. Thanks guys!

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 10-02-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Skilled

Looks like I forgot to label my last picture completely. I was going to mention that good looking anvil too. It is one of three Peddinghaus anvils that showed up. All that chain is necessary, those things ring like a bell. I saw Frank getting in a few licks on that thing and I believe he knows his way around an anvil too.

Thanks for the names to match the faces Carl. It is hard to get to meet everyone and as time goes by even getting to meet someone is no guarantee I'll remember the name anymore.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Skilled

And the peach brandy wernt half bad either.

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 AM

All you have to do is look around that barn and campground to see that Frank's no stranger to a well aimed hammer. I think he was really impressed with
John's "Ornymental Irnwork". We wound up doing several late night "OI" projects as was evident from all the TRC brands on everything that would burn or melt.

I'm getting kind of partial to that big Fisher myself. Moderate rebound but can really stop a hammer!

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 PM

Man it looks like I missed a great time!! When Avery comes over tomorrow I'll have to show him all the pictures. But his game was great. Nothing like seeing your grandson as quarterback. And on top of that he got tagged by the coach to quarterback for the next age group team over his for the entire 4th quarter. They won and of course you know it was because of Avery

I hope we get to see ya'll in Columbus and TrackRock next spring.

Great pictures guys.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives