MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:06 PM

I just put a hammer in their hand and point to the forge and anvil. Even when you show some of them how it's done they can't believe it's done that way.

Just keep this thought in mind when you meet people like these - they're the ones that will starve to death when things get really tough.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Steel Addict

When I tell most people that I make knives, they think I'm F-ing crazy. I usually show people a work in progress to show them exactly what it takes. I also show a sample of the material that I used to make it. I usually get looks of shock and awe when I do that. I try to show as many people as much as I can when I have the chance.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Hall of Famer

One of my starter kits........

Old 02-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Living Legend

Ray that kit is incomplete, you forgot the dead dear carcas with your hand on the business end of a hacksaw. It would be labeled Part# 3a: Handle material.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Skilled

I've started to use my digital camera to take pictures of the stages of design and construction of each knife. Then I make a little photo-album that goes with the knife. First picture is of the design sketches and the last picture is the finished knife, with lots inbetween. People like the photos almost as much as the knife! I think it really makes the reality of it sink in.

-Ben
Old 02-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Skilled

I work in a retail environment where they all preach "Diversity", yet they have no problems saying "EEeeeww. Thats a scary hobby".
However no one has asked me if this was from a kit.

Last edited by Blaine Whitney; 05-30-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Living Legend

Blaine, there is something about that knife that is hands down the "cat's meow". I am not sure if it is the simplicity, design or what. It should be the poster child of what an NT knife should be. I also like the seasoned oil finish, everyone knows that is how you protect cast iron cookware from rust it's just natural to do the same thing with carbon steel. It has the look to it that says "use me, I can take it!!!!!".

I will have to crank one out very soon, I still have alot of hemp chord left and leaf springs comming out of my ears.

I was also thinking that a seasoned oil finish would be the best for the outside of my forge since I have smoked every brand of high temp paint that I have tried.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Finnigan
Blaine, there is something about that knife that is hands down the "cat's meow". I am not sure if it is the simplicity, design or what. It should be the poster child of what an NT knife should be. I also like the seasoned oil finish, everyone knows that is how you protect cast iron cookware from rust it's just natural to do the same thing with carbon steel. It has the look to it that says "use me, I can take it!!!!!".

I will have to crank one out very soon, I still have alot of hemp chord left and leaf springs comming out of my ears.

I was also thinking that a seasoned oil finish would be the best for the outside of my forge since I have smoked every brand of high temp paint that I have tried.
Thanks B.

1095 barstock from Admiral. With a propane forge and an angle grinder, its getting to where I can pump one out pretty quick. Usually about 2, 5 hour sessions.
They are fun, quick and easy. On to the next project.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Skilled

Lack of a bench, limited tools, no real hard side shop tends to keep me humble.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives