MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-03-2003, 01:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
"Just Squish It"

Just getting in from the shop. Fired up the new forge tonite, Boy what a beast! her insides are 22" from door to door, 16"wide and 30" deep. Dont think Ill outgrow it!

Used the new press Ron Claiborn made for me for the first time in my shop. Boy am I happy!!!

I made up a 264 layer ladder pattern billet which ended up being 20" long by 2" wide by 3/4 thick !!! Then since I wasnt tired yet (boy pulling that lever sure is easier than swinging that hammer!)
I made up a 12 layer billet and took it up to 384 layers then did some odd folding to upset the pattern wish I could post pics, cause it sure was purty!!

Guys If you are intrested in one of these machines, better get on the list cause Im afraid the waiting list is gonna get fairly long once a few of these get into circulation. I cant say enough good things about this press! Im kind of a klutzy type, and I can do things I only dreamed of before! I know these things have their limits, but I havnt seen them yet.

The coolest part for me is to be able to start with an idea and finish it in one visit to the shop! I think my mistakes will hurt a lot less when they dont take a day and a half to make!!!

Anyone intrested in swapping some damascus for handle material??

Mike

Old 07-03-2003, 04:26 AM
Guru

Hey mike email me. nifeman@msn.com I'd be interested...Bud
Old 07-03-2003, 07:03 AM
Guru

Mike,
I cried when I read your post. I'm worried about you Bro. You're going to get burned out on that press before 2030 if you're not more careful. I'm so grateful that I don't have mine yet, and can still get the smile off my face when I want to. You better get a phone for that shop so April can talk to you, and don't let her hear the way you talk to that press! Don't forget to give Austin a turn!!

KempKnives.com
Old 07-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Already thought of that Larry, gonna out it right next to my cot!

Austin has been too busy working and playing music, but he sure got that look in his eyes when I showed hime what I did last night!! Don't think the infection has gone full blown with him yet! thank Goodness! I can hear it now, "get out of my way, and get your own press!"

I need to send you some ITC100 Bro, you forgot it!!

Have a good 4th !

Mike

Old 07-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Mike, I get so tired of setting up my forge next to the railroad track waiting for them darn trains to come.

You need to sell some of your damascus and buy a digatal camera. You could take pictures with your free hand of the grin on your face while your opperating the press.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Would have to use a special filter, the glare off my grin would ruin the picture!!!

Mike

Old 07-04-2003, 06:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Your going to have to make a tape of a clanging hammer on an anvil and play it when your in your shop. Need some kind of sound comming out of the shop. I bet the neighbors are happy....

Old 07-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Well I never thought of that Ray, but I dont have any one living within a mile or so, so its not an issue, but some good rythmic anvil ringing sure would be soothing!!

Mike

Old 07-05-2003, 10:31 AM

Mike
I have some nice stabilized maple burl from WSSI, I also have some nice slices of mammoth ivory. Shoot me an email at srv@golden.net and maybe we can do some business.
Thanks
Steve

Old 07-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Guru

Mike,

Just wanted to let you know your e-mail seems to be bouncing. Tried a couple of times the last few days to let you know the package is on the UPS truck heading your way.

--Carl
Old 07-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Calling mike, hello mike, take a break mike ,
let the press cool a little ,
I m worried about mike Guys
I don't think he's been getting any rest sense he's been back from my shop he left here with a faraway look in his eyes and
murmuring , mixing his words and had this big grin from ear to ear , he posted here a few times and the last i heard from him
was a few night ago in palltalk he said then that his losing sleep and working all hours of the night . some thing about a bug he
got while here i think its Damascus bug hehehehehehehhehe im a pusher heheheheh but have not heard from him in a while do
any of you know how he is or at least that he's not in a mental hospital some where i do know he has it bad and he showed me
some great steel he is producing . .
all i could get out of him the other night is ( hay ron did u know if you twist and cut fold and slice remash twist again that
that looks betty dang good )
see what i mean if any of you see him walking the streets or banging his head some where lend him a helping hand ,and tell him
( yes mike that pattern will work )
lead him home or to his shop --- i have a feeling he's has ton of steel to make stuff out of heheheh
thanks for the good words mike and try to take a break it a new pattern every day cant build them all in one week
glade your happy with the press but your wife has ask me to tell you its supper time bowie

Tags
forge