MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Skilled

My first attempt at a Bowie knife.

This is. 1/4 1084 and its a flat grind .

Old 01-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That looks like a pretty fair start....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

Great start! Nice lines.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:42 PM

I think you may come to wish that the tang was much closer to the spine of the blade, maybe not more than 1/8" below the spine. Time will tell ...

Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I think you may come to wish that the tang was much closer to the spine of the blade, maybe not more than 1/8" below the spine. Time will tell ...
Please explain to me what you mean? I'm a rookie
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 PM

A lot will depend on what you have in mind for the handle. To me though, it looks like you will probably not be able to do much except a simple, straight broomstick style handle. The reason I say that is that you'll want the back of the handle to be level with the spine because it will look wrong if it isn't. Also, it appears you intend to make this a through tang design, probably with a pommel on the end so that will further limit your ability to shape the handle. Now, with all that being the case the majority of the handle shaping you can do will be on the sides and the bottom. The sides are no problem but you will quickly see that you can't do much on the bottom for fear of cutting into the tang. So, any finger grooves you might want will probably be fairly shallow. It is hard to guess at the height of the blade stock but I'd say 1.25" is likely so your handle could end up being that tall for lack of much room to reduce the contour. If the tang were higher up it wouldn't change much about how you could build the handle but it would give you a lot more room under the handle for tweaking the profile to fit your hand.

Don't get all excited, you should be able to finish out a handle that will work out just fine although it may be kind of stick-like . Something to think about for the next one though ...

Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
A lot will depend on what you have in mind for the handle. To me though, it looks like you will probably not be able to do much except a simple, straight broomstick style handle. The reason I say that is that you'll want the back of the handle to be level with the spine because it will look wrong if it isn't. Also, it appears you intend to make this a through tang design, probably with a pommel on the end so that will further limit your ability to shape the handle. Now, with all that being the case the majority of the handle shaping you can do will be on the sides and the bottom. The sides are no problem but you will quickly see that you can't do much on the bottom for fear of cutting into the tang. So, any finger grooves you might want will probably be fairly shallow. It is hard to guess at the height of the blade stock but I'd say 1.25" is likely so your handle could end up being that tall for lack of much room to reduce the contour. If the tang were higher up it wouldn't change much about how you could build the handle but it would give you a lot more room under the handle for tweaking the profile to fit your hand.

Don't get all excited, you should be able to finish out a handle that will work out just fine although it may be kind of stick-like . Something to think about for the next one though ...
I gotcha, I'm planning on using some axis horn that has a bend to it, if I need to I will bend the tang to fit, at least that's the plan.

Tags
1084, art, back, blade, bowie, build, design, flat, flat grind, grind, handle, horn, knife, make, problem, profile, simple, tang