MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaqua
(but the new haircut and the burning coal in your new avitar do make you "look" slightly demonic :evil )
Well, y'know... all about the Fire these days.

On a serious note, I've been told I have a distinctive look when it comes to the knives... I think it's a result of my interests, and I don't go out of my way to cultivate it as 'different,' from someone else's knives. They just are what they are.

jloose.com

Old 08-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Loose
On a serious note, I've been told I have a distinctive look when it comes to the knives... I think it's a result of my interests, and I don't go out of my way to cultivate it as 'different,' from someone else's knives. They just are what they are.

I think your look may be because you take a great deal of inspiration from a specific segment of the historical record. But, that isn't to say you haven't made it your own. One of your Seax's is very easly to spot when compared to other makers interpretaion of that standard.

I may or may not develope my own look. But it will take a long time I am sure. In part because of the number of historic styles I want to reproduce

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Skilled

I think each knifemakers look, comes from his own evolusion of what sells for him and what doesn't... His surroundings, Tools and Materials available to him in his early years of trying to survive the pressures of every 30 days the Bills come due.... This survival period determines what his Canvas will look like if He emerges as a wanted knifemaker..

Old 08-07-2004, 04:53 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
I was happy to find this tread and to see if various posts that my knives have "that Anso look".

I can?t say that this is something I have worked for but rather something that has come naturally. I agrre with most what has been writen allready. What i can say for my self is that over the knives I have madeknives I have established alot of methodes that works for me while making my knives. First it is the design part. I do alot of drawing and only a fraction of it goes on to become knives....but all is needed to get to the designs that DO come to life. I do not strive to get a specific look but while drawing I think about what I can do and what would be cool to be able to do....I have a certain way of designing my knives..I loike flowing simple lines and I guess thats one of the things that creates the "Anso look". Secondly the methodes I use while making the knife. Everyone has different ways of working and get different grindlines, shape handles differently etc..this also creates the look. I have allways been admirering makers who has the look and I am glad that I am getting there....makes things more simple. I guess the look has something to do with experience as well,,,,when you reach a point where you become confident in the way you work and that instead of changing methodes you refine them....guess it all has alot to do with refinement....

ok enough bla bla bla...not sure if this made any sence...

Old 08-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Jens,

Thanks for adding your comments. I guess I never thought about how much paper a knifemaker went through before actually trying a design out in steel. I also liked your comment about refining methods, not changing them. It seems logical that after a while, one gets comfortable with certain design elements, tools and techniques, and these would show through to the finished product.

Congratulations on a beautiful set of folders.

Regards, -Alex
Old 08-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Skilled

"I guess I never thought about how much paper a knifemaker went through before actually trying a design out in steel."

Conversely, the only blade I've forged that had had a definite finished shape in mind was a sword. My other blades usually have no plan - they're what flow out under the hammer. The only planning I do is if I want a Bowie clip I do a pre-cut tip.

I'm already developing a style, not really from planning. Blade shape and choil shape are probably the biggest things for me.

I don't grind blades. I forge them. Perhaps the average grinder plans more than the average forgist. I don't know.

Many different ways to work.

A blog I share with a friend where we think out loud upon occasion: http://shareourcampfire.blogspot.com/

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My new blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Skilled

I'm just curious Storm Crow .. just how do you forge the hammer marks out of the blade and get the crisp bevel lines in a blade and that thin straight sharp edge with a hammer.??
this I've got to know.....

Old 08-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

A few years back I was at the NY knife show talking to one of the new makers. At the end of the show he had not sold anything and was telling me that barly anyone even picked them up. What I told him was "Your stuff is very clean and well made but if I put my thumb over your mark I would not know that you made it." We are as much artists as machinists or blacksmiths. If you walked into a musuem you could tell a Rembrant from a Picaso or a Dali from a Magrete. When the blade speaks for itself the signiture should not have too.

Old 08-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Licata
"Your stuff is very clean and well made but if I put my thumb over your mark I would not know that you made it."

Steve,

I would have to say that would apply to at least 70% of the makers at the last show I attended. And yet these people sold knives. And some had loyal followings. Yes I would say there is a percentage of makers that sell on their "look". But I have to honesty belive that is only a small part of the whole picture.

Now maybe that's a left coast perception. I don't know.........

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Skilled

yes

good bad or indifferent i want u to be able to pick my work out from everyone else
i make and effort to make my knives look like mine
harley

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives