MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

Location: Carlisle PA, desperately trying to get back to Wild Wonderful West (by God) Virginia
Send a message via AIM to alchemy knife
Moran Blade Forging & Knife Expo

It's less than a week until the 1st Moran Blade Forging & Knife Expo in Frederick, MD.
Who's going to the demonstrations?
Who's going to the Knife Show?

I'll be there Thursday afternoon, and stay all weekend. I can't wait to meet everyone. Here is the link for information. Moran Expo

See you there,

Pam

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.....WOW, what a ride!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

Metal artist & blacksmith.

Pictures of what I do: http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLandi...28B57&cb=PW
Old 10-05-2003, 05:31 PM

Hey Pam-

You know I'll be there...
Living in Baltimore, the show in Frederick is only about a 40 minute commute for me...No motel room required!

The list of demonstrators reads like a who's who of USA knifemakers...Looking forward to some cool demos...

I told Jay Hendrickson's wife to reserve me a table...Don't have much to show at the moment but what the heck, if it's included in the price anyway, I figured why not get a table if only to put out a few folders.

I may come out Thursday night for the dinner...depends on any work mtgs. scheduled for that afternoon.

I'll keep an eye out for you...See you there...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 10-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Steel Addict

I'm planning on going. I'll have all of my machinery on display and hopefully under power if it is available. I think I'll drive over Friday morning and arrive in the afternoon. Tenatively...the weather looks fantastic!

See you all there!

Sincerely,
Rob

Old 10-06-2003, 12:22 AM
Skilled

I'll be there. Can't wait!!!
Stop by my table and say hi.
Mace

Here's one I'll be bringing.

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 10-06-2003, 02:43 PM

Hey, I'll be there spectating. It's gonna be a good one. Mace, Dennis, Pam--look forward to meeting you all as well. Rob--I was so impressed with all your super grinding gear being used--really really used--at the Scagel Hammer-In this August! It's gotta be the best out there--especially judging by the response of the bladesmiths who were using them in demos! Safe travels everyone! BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 10-12-2003, 10:04 PM

A quick post--Just back from the ABS Moran Hammer-In--incredible experience! I'm sure others will chime in with words and pictures as time/energy allow, but to kick it off here's Mace getting a thumbs up from mastersmith and cutting contest judge,Greg Neely, after successfully cleaving that fiber and rubber-backed welcome mat!

Old 10-13-2003, 08:45 AM

The Moran Hammer-in was great. About as many ABS Mastersmiths as you would find at any one event. The highlight of the event was the tour of Mr. Moran's shop and being able to meet a man who is as nice as he is skilled.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:12 PM

Couldn't agree more...Fantastic event...Anyone who's into knives at all surely would have loved this. With this past weekend's large turnout, I'm sure this "1st Annual Moran Expo" will be followed by many more.

I've got some great pics from our visit to Bill Moran's shop (way cool experience!)...as well as a few assorted other nifty shots I was lucky enough to grab. I'll try and post them later tonight.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:49 PM

Definitely the chance to be chaufered over to Bill Moran's shop in small groups, to take a leisurely look around, to chat with Bill informally as well as others and then to have Bill address us with his thoughts about many things related to the forged blade while he effortlessly hammered out a beautiful leaf of steel--was the highlight of the weekend. Here's a picture of the man of the hour as he forges the leaf. He did three that day for three groups. The three leaves were auctioned for $1500--one fellow bought all three!

I should have a FotoTime link up in the next 24 hours with some other images. It was an historic event--no doubt about it!

Old 10-14-2003, 12:14 AM

If I did this right, the URL below will lead to FotoTime and two of my albums: Moran Hammer-In and Scagel Hammer-In. Both were pretty amazing events--lots of effort and passion by the ABS leadership which set a really positive tone for collectors and enthusiasts who attended. Enjoy!
http://www.fototime.com/inv/06048DF2C6A2303

Old 10-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Skilled

WOW! What a great weekend. Hats off to the ABS for another great event. It was great to meet some of you for the first time, I'm sure we will see each other again. Buddy, I'm sorry we couldn't spend more time talking and I wish I could have seen that knife(post pic?) All the demos and knives were great, the cutting comp. was a blast, and the show was fantastic. It was a real treat to visit Bill's shop. It really put things into perspective for me as a maker. He is one of the most down to earth people I've met. Really everyone I have met with the ABS is down to earth.
Here is a pic of bill holding the walking stick he put in the auction. Sold for $1100.00!!!!!
Mace
Thats Joe Keesler in the background.

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 10-14-2003, 07:37 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey Guy
Hey Pam-

You know I'll be there...
Living in Baltimore, the show in Frederick is only about a 40 minute commute for me...No motel room required!

The list of demonstrators reads like a who's who of USA knifemakers...Looking forward to some cool demos...

I told Jay Hendrickson's wife to reserve me a table...Don't have much to show at the moment but what the heck, if it's included in the price anyway, I figured why not get a table if only to put out a few folders.

I may come out Thursday night for the dinner...depends on any work mtgs. scheduled for that afternoon.

I'll keep an eye out for you...See you there...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ive cought u now
and u r in trouble
i want u to get disgusted w those kits
remember what i said
no matter what u do to those kits u r still polishing turds

u r here by condemed to at least one weekend in my shop!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u got way too much talent to continue as u have been
on the other hand if u do stop assembleing kits who am i going to harrass??
see u in tenn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
harley

Old 10-14-2003, 11:37 AM

You caught me is right Larry!

We finally got to meet face-to-face and you know what I found out?...SURPRISE...You're a really good guy!!! That big ole' gruff exterior of yours doesn't hide for long the fact that underneath all that is a heart of gold.

Sorry we ran out of time...I was anxious to learn from you. I'll figure out some way to find a few free days to get down to your shop...

Gotta run for now...There's one of those knives you like so much sitting on my bench just waiting to be polished

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 10-14-2003, 06:16 PM

Buddy, Great pictures. Moran and Scagel, you can't do better than that. Jim Treacy
Old 10-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Skilled

That big ole' gruff exterior of yours doesn't hide for long the fact that underneath all that is a heart of gold.

watch it
i been working on this image for 25 yrs
and now u r close to blowing it!!!!!!
GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
HARLEY

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives