MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Back from the Blade Show...the Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Well, I made it home last night from the Blade Show. For me personally, this was the worst Blade show for sales in the last 8 years.

The Good: The trip down went well, and the weather in Atlanta wasn't unbearably hot like it usually is. We arrived on Thursday afternoon, check into our hotel, and then went to the show in hope of picking up our show packets, and maybe wondering around a bit during setup. I did managed to sell a couple of knives, but overall the crowd and the sales were WAY down compared to previous years.

The Bad: When I tried to pick up my show packet, all I got was an empty envelope. NOTHING inside. When I asked about it, I managed to get a name tag, and nothing else. The lines were ungodly long, and everyone behind the counter was wondering around as if they had no clue of what was going on. I decided to wait until the next morning to try to get the rest of my show materials. When I went to the show office the next morning, and asked for the show packet materials, I was handed a show contract for next year, and then ignored. The ONLY person who offered me ANY assistance was Missy Beyers, who works for Krause, but is not even on the show staff! That was very frustrating.

The Ugly: Although I did manage to "move up" withing the ABS section of the show, to row 5, table #P (5 rows back from the entrance), I was appalled at what I saw as far as table assignments. Across the isle from me was a table with two large display cases, full on watches! Down the row a few tables was someone selling wooden cabinets, and for the very first time EVER at a BLADE show, I saw firearms being sold. Many ABS JS and MS were in the rear of that ABS section, while people hocking "junk" were placed at tables much closer to the front of the section. It was very discouraging to see that the premier knife show in the world, was showing signs, and had the initial feelings, of a Flea Market! Those vendors who were selling non-knife related items were walking around looking like bums, with ragged shorts, flip-flops, and T-shirts, which I think lowered the overall environment of the show. Although some other forums I've read are painting a picture of it being an awesome show, with huge sales, that was the exception, rather than the rule. Many of the suppliers had outstanding shows, and after speaking with some of them, it came to light that knife supply sales are high, due to folks loosing their jobs, and wanting to get into knifemaking, thinking they are going to be overnight successes at it. One supplier I spoke with told me that they are receiving several calls a week from this type of individual, and that some have been telling them that they are spending all their savings in order to purchase knifemaking equipment and supplies, so they can make a living. That doesn't bode well, for other knifemakers, nor for the individual(s).

Overall I think that the new Blade Show staff did a very poor job of overseeing the show, taking care of the table holders, and it reflected not only in how things were handled, but in the overall show experience.

I personally think that in the future we are going to see the implementation of more "Micro-Shows", and other knife selling venues. As organizations who host shows try to save more/make more money, makers and customers are going to become disgusted and seek other avenues. Its already beginning with things like Micro-Shows, and new internet knife sale sites.

OK, now that all the serious stuff has been said, its still the Blade Show, and still the largest gathering of knifemakers in the world. Its an experience, and although it does take a few years to get noticed, there is no way to expose yourself to a larger audience in person.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Skilled

Dang Ed that sucks that good makers had to take a back seat to junk vendors. And they were IN the ABS section??

Hope you had a good time despite the obvious problems!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Master

Just wondering out loud if the ABS would consider judging test knives down in San Antonio at their expo. Seems if management doesn't make quick decisions, sham wow might get front row next year just for coughing up the premium.

I could just imagine someone on the fence about buying a nice knife, come back to the table a few times, and then you see the fellow later showing off a new watch to his buddies. Money walked in the door to buy a knife and it's taken off the table.

I dunno, Craig
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Guru

Blade show management was letting anyone into the venue Thursday. Several people in line did not get badges and when they asked how they could setup, they were told "Oh, just go on in". There was no security and we did not leave our knives there any night of the show. VIP badges were wandering around the show at 10AM on Friday, fully two hours before the show was supposed to open for them.

I saw several makers there who had very little success, I was told by one well known master smith it was going to be a "true" three day show for him, not something you expect from a guy who is generally sold out before the show opens to the public. Most of the people around me had a very good show, but I think overall sales were probably down.

There were many empty tables at the show, probably due to poor advertising. Many people did not know that the show would be expanded and had no idea they could get tables. Either side of us was empty, one unsold and the other could not make the show. I think they should have expanded lightly, or pushed to get tables sold. Instead they upped the price per table, expanded the show and didn't bother to tell anyone. In addition, by adding the tables and changing the layout, I saw several makers confused about where their "regular" table was. Wonder how many customers felt the same way...

I had a great time at the show and we will have tables again next year, but I hope that the show management gets wind of the dissatisfaction and makes some things right.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 06-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Hall of Famer

"One supplier I spoke with told me that they are receiving several calls a week from this type of individual, and that some have been telling them that they are spending all their savings in order to purchase knifemaking equipment and supplies, so they can make a living. That doesn't bode well, for other knifemakers, nor for the individual(s). "

The only positive spin I can put on this is that in a couple of years there might be some equipment for sale, cheap. . .

But it's still sink or swim in the handmade knife business. Even with the accessibility of the internet if you don't make good quality knives and run an efficient business, it will catch in the long run.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Steel Addict

Yeah, I wondered at the arrangement a little when I came in on Saturday - just the one day for me this year. Didn't mind seeing the Gerstner guy there, that seems to sort of fit, but not right at the front of the ABS section! There's always been a certain amount of junk and bums, but usually more around the edges, not right in the ABS or guild sections. Just figured the number of empty tables was because it was Saturday, not Friday, but I wasn't there on Friday this year. But then there were other tables - like Ed's, for example - that I couldn't understand why there was so much still on the table. Sorry. But at least I got to handle some nice knives that otherwise I might've missed! Always feel a little funny about that, but maybe my #1 reason for going is the inspiration, to handle and look at the kind of work that I'm working toward.

For me it was a pretty good day. I got inspired, got a little smarter, filled my (admittedly small) shopping list, and my girlfriend decided my friends weren't too wierd! And she even wants to try making a knife!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Skilled

Hey Ed,

First, I'm sorry if I came off as stuck up. When you said hello I was focussed on something, and frankly it's been a long time and I didn't recognize you!

I would agree with you on your points. For a show that's been in operation for almost 2 decades, this was one of the most poorly planned and executed trade shows I've ever attended. I was supposed to be in the hand made section, but found myself surrounded by suppliers. Then there was the listing of my name under "D" instead of "B". They did open up more space for more tables, and I'm glad I was able to get one, but I wonder about them letting in lots of junk that had nothing to do with knives or other things we knifemakers make. Remember seeing Beanie Babies at knife shows back in the early 90s?

There are always lots of guys who want to make a knife and spend a load of money on equipment, thinking they can make a living right off the bat, but it seems that during an economic down period it gets heavier. In the end the only ones who benefit are the suppliers and manufacturers of belt grinders, abrasives, and materials. I don't mind helping some of these guys any less than you do, but I do try to see just how serious they are about it.

In spite of all this, I'll likely be back next year.

Glad you sold something!

David

Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Skilled

If ya'll don't mind, I would like to put my two cents worth into this discussion as I was a first-timer at the Blade Show.

First, let me again say thank you to the starter of this thread, Mr. Caffrey. His was one of the first tables I spent any amount of time at on Friday and truly enjoyed my conversation with him. I appreciated his critique of my work, and with an open mind, will be trying some of his suggestions. He is a true gentleman and superb knife artisan.

As for the show- I too was a little surprized at the amount of "local gun show junk" I saw. I did expect every table to be of good quality. The low-end stuff was a vast minority mind you, but more of it there than I would have thought, not knowing any better. However, there was a plethora of WONDERFUL bladesmiths there with great work. A good thought might be "only when surrounded by weeds does a daisy truly shine!"

I did see a common theme of three basic "designs/types" represented mainly and that kinda surprized me. I expected a little more variety- but once again- I had no previous experience at Blade, that may be how it always has been. There were a few folks that were obviously dancing to a different drummer and I really appreciated that. One thing that I think I took from it is a general theme in the types of knives that the market must be expecting to some extent and that, I'm sure, changes from year to year somewhat. That is good info to gather and hard to get from other than a large, all encompassing show like Blade.

As for the "Newbie explosion"....of which I guess I'm part of by default, although I got started just because I wanted to, not because I had to- it will all work out in the end. Remember two things tend float to the top of the milk bucket and are later extracted....and only one is cream. The other is discarded lest it spoil the butter. I only hope to avoid being considered $&#t...

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 06-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Broadwell
Hey Ed,

First, I'm sorry if I came off as stuck up. When you said hello I was focussed on something, and frankly it's been a long time and I didn't recognize you!

I would agree with you on your points. For a show that's been in operation for almost 2 decades, this was one of the most poorly planned and executed trade shows I've ever attended. I was supposed to be in the hand made section, but found myself surrounded by suppliers. Then there was the listing of my name under "D" instead of "B". They did open up more space for more tables, and I'm glad I was able to get one, but I wonder about them letting in lots of junk that had nothing to do with knives or other things we knifemakers make. Remember seeing Beanie Babies at knife shows back in the early 90s?

There are always lots of guys who want to make a knife and spend a load of money on equipment, thinking they can make a living right off the bat, but it seems that during an economic down period it gets heavier. In the end the only ones who benefit are the suppliers and manufacturers of belt grinders, abrasives, and materials. I don't mind helping some of these guys any less than you do, but I do try to see just how serious they are about it.

In spite of all this, I'll likely be back next year.

Glad you sold something!

David
Hey David,
I was wondering why both you, being famous.......or infamous as it were.....and Mark Sentz were stuck in the back row behind me while the person selling purses, the cabinet guy, the watch guy and all of those folks were in front.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdent
Just wondering out loud if the ABS would consider judging test knives down in San Antonio at their expo.
Unconfirmed rumor has it that this topic came up in a heated discussion between the head of a certain organization and the show management!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcridSaint
Blade show management was letting anyone into the venue Thursday. Several people in line did not get badges and when they asked how they could setup, they were told "Oh, just go on in". There was no security and we did not leave our knives there any night of the show. VIP badges were wandering around the show at 10AM on Friday, fully two hours before the show was supposed to open for them.

I saw several makers there who had very little success, I was told by one well known master smith it was going to be a "true" three day show for him, not something you expect from a guy who is generally sold out before the show opens to the public. Most of the people around me had a very good show, but I think overall sales were probably down.

There were many empty tables at the show, probably due to poor advertising. Many people did not know that the show would be expanded and had no idea they could get tables. Either side of us was empty, one unsold and the other could not make the show. I think they should have expanded lightly, or pushed to get tables sold. Instead they upped the price per table, expanded the show and didn't bother to tell anyone. In addition, by adding the tables and changing the layout, I saw several makers confused about where their "regular" table was. Wonder how many customers felt the same way...

I had a great time at the show and we will have tables again next year, but I hope that the show management gets wind of the dissatisfaction and makes some things right.
I walked right in on Thursday because they didn't have my badge in my packet. I basically carried the packet around for ID whilst stag shopping until i figured out that nobody was checking anyone at the door.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Steel Addict

I havent heard of a more unorganized show ever. It used to be such a top notch show but is going down hill fast if they are allowing anything except knives and knife related tables. They shouldnt have expanded it to those vendors when there are knife makers waiting to get a table. Maybe the staff and the purse/watch/cabinet guys are cousins? In any case you guys need to complain to the show managment big time or else next year will be worse.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 AM

I guess I'm not so broken up that i missed it after all.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Steel Addict

Exclamation

Greetings all,

I have attended the Blade Show almost every year since 1986 and have been a Guild member since 1991 and I can tell you that there has been a marked decline in the show after it was sold. I do not have a table at the show any longer because of this. I come to buy supplies, visit with friends and allow my teenage son and his buddies to buy quality knives for their collections.
Let me pass on what I observed Sat morning while waiting for the show. A local TV crew was shooting and I wandered up to observe the action. There in front of me, I assume a SOF wanna-be, demonstrating how to kill and maim with a Krambit. Is this the image we want to leave with the public?? I can only guess where that footage will show up. My 2 cents.

[IMG]Click for information...[/IMG]
http://bradjohnsonknives.blademakers.com/
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Brad!

Yea, thats all we need...one more reason from the uneducated for knifemakers to be legislated....

Reasons like that are why people are afraid of knives and/or guns. I was talking with some folks in Atlanta (who were locals) and when I told them that guns and knives in Montana were viewed as just another tool (just like a shovel or a rake), they looked at me like I was crazy. Its not the tool that does the work.....its the person using it.....I've never had a pistol jump off the shelf and attack me.....or for that matter, a knife has never cut me unless someone was on the other end of it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 06-03-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives