MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhne
The police force wouldnt have a say as to what is considered an illegal knife?
Impossible to know what you mean by "have a say"...., but if I'm understanding you correctly.., no.., they do not initiate legislation to make any potential weapon "legal" or "illegal".

I'll give an example that might help, but the overall answer is no. Law Enforcement Officers "ENFORCE" laws advocated by political lobby groups, and get the approval stamp of local jurisdictions. They rarely have much (if any) input pertaining to what becomes "Law".

An exception to that would be if a particular Operations Officer kept hearing about some particular weapon that was all over the streets in the Squad Room each day. If this hypothetical weapon was involved in many arrests day after day, that Officer would inform his superiors, and they might advocate (through a political lobby group)..., that some restrictions be put on the carry of that particular implement.

From that point on.., we're right back to the political arena.

To answer what you wrote SPECIFICALLY...., if a LEO [thinks] what you are carrying is "illegal" (even if they aren't sure), they will certainly take whatever it is, and AGAIN, we're back to the DA's office ~~> and in the end.....a Judge has "the say" after reviewing the findings of the DA's office, and conviction precedents.

Simple common sense rules in many cases, and of course there are written laws that any Officer KNOWS (i.e, walking around with Springfield SOCOM II with a 100 round magazine loaded).....is illegal, but this "cut-and-dry" scenario is seldom the case with the Balisong knife, or many other edged tools.

Most Officers anywhere know the basics about length of blade.., etc, but not "design dynamics". As mentioned (above)..., there is no way anyone trying to enforce law on the streets, can be a walking encyclopedia of standing laws across all domains. It would be completely unrealistic to even expect that of any Police Officer. ~~> That's why the courts figure it out.

Even here in So California (where darn near anything is illegal), many patrol officers are not familiar with current laws pertaining specifically to the Balisong, simply because they weren't on the force when it was made illegal, and the knife itself is not NAMED in the law that makes it illegal. Like many jurisdictions in the US..., "Case Law" has determined the Balisong to be a "Gravity Knife"...(i.e., a piece that is deployed using centrifugal force), and that makes it illegal to carry unless the blade is under 2" in length (in this State).

Some States in the US it is legal. Why? Because those states avoided getting caught up in media hype that labelled the Balisong as "The knife of choice for criminals".

That has never been true, is not supported by any records in any state in this country, or anywhere else for that matter.

If there is an exception to that AT ALL.., it would be various barrio towns in and around Batangas Province in the Philippines (i.e, Buli, Taal, Tanauan, Batangas City, etc.)..., where the Balisong knife WAS.., for many years, a very common weapon carried by thug-type Batanguenos.

Although this is no longer the case (guns are a bigger problem).., the Balisong is illegal for carry there also, but you can buy box-loads of them along any road leading in/out of these small barrio-hamlets. It remains a cottage industry to make them ~~> mostly to sell to tourists.

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 02-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

AFter reading the posts here, I have to say 'I'm glad I live in Oregon'....
I carry my balisong and use it as a tool often.
I carry my auto DDR3-BL and use it as a tool often also.
I just ordered 5 OTFs (Out The Front) autos from Benchmade that should be here soon.
I spent my first 40 yrs growing up in Calif. and since I moved north, I've never looked back.
Last Elk camp I had a guest from Australia with us. I took him and his son out to shoot a pistol for the first time in their lives. The boy had never seen one before. They talked about having their long guns and shotguns locked up in a remote locker where they could check them out to go use them. Now I'm finding there are severe restrictions on blades also. I'm glad I was born a US citizen.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkBowHunter
Last Elk camp I had a guest from Australia with us. I took him and his son out to shoot a pistol for the first time in their lives. The boy had never seen one before. They talked about having their long guns and shotguns locked up in a remote locker where they could check them out to go use them. Now I'm finding there are severe restrictions on blades also. I'm glad I was born a US citizen.
Yeah, its pretty different over here than it is over there. You don't have to have your guns locked up in a remote locker, and have them checked out and stuff. But you do have keep them in either; "a bolted down locked gun safe or cabinet" or a "locked container that weighs more than 180kg" and then theres sumthin to do with cars that i dont remember.

Even then, i've only ever fired a shotgun once (i missed the target to), at a claybird shoot reserve that i used to work at when i was 9.

And as for handguns, getting them is not impossible. But you can't buy them like, anywhere in australia, except for black market type stuff. And getting a licence for one is just about impossible.

Knife laws are pretty restricted too. Though i dont think theyre much different from the ones you mentioned them having in California, about gravity knives, and springloaded folding knives. The laws also restrict anything longer than 6-7inches, and all Throwing knives (thats only in some states).

The throwing knives one really annoys me though. Me and a freind, we throw knives, just as like, sumthin to do you know? like im bored, so ill set up the target in the backyard and throw knives at it for a bit.
Now, i'm not a great knife thrower, though i wouldnt say i'm bad. And i do have a proper knife throwing set of knives, and i'd have to say, that the idea of attacking a person is rediculous (whats even more rediculous is seeing them sold online as a self defense weapon).
Normal throwing darts are far more dangerous, useful.

But yeah, the law on throwing knives only really restricts buying them in victoria. And its not enforced.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knives, switchblade