MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

Motor Control/Grinder Questions

Ok guys,
A buddy of mine and myself are considering building at least one grinder. The fabrication seems pretty straightforward and shouldn't be an issue. I've combed the threads and websites dealing with grinders and still have some questions.

How does one do a variable speed setup without using step pulleys?
Would a 1 1/2 HP, 1725rpm, sealed DC motor be acceptable? (Don't want the motor filling up with steel dust)
Does anyone have a parts list?

As idler wheels are stupidly expensive, I'm considering pressing a buddy and his lathe into service. I'd like to make my own aluminum idler/tracking wheels if at all possible. Would 2"-3" diameter wheels be ok? I'll probably just buy a contact wheel from Grizzly.

I saying to myself that this thing can't be that hard to build. I just want to build a four wheel grinder that's going to kick butt. A glass platen and platen chiller will eventually end up on it as well...

If I'm being a little overzealous, please feel free to call me on it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Steel Addict

For the motor I cannot give much advice but I am using a 230v 3 phase 1 hp motor and I am very happy with it. For idler wheels I used longboard wheels. For tracking I also used a longboard wheel but I wrapped tape on the center of it to give it a hump in the middle for better tracking. I have been using it for about 6 months now and I love it!! Not bad for under $500. Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Steel Addict

"How does one do a variable speed setup without using step pulleys?" A separate variable speed controller hooked into your motor, that's what mine is. I can give you more specs on it Monday when it gets here. I agree, step pulleys would be a pain.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Steel Addict

Mine is a 120v variable speed control.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast

Awesome guys! Thanks so much for the input! I love the longboard wheel idea! The bearings hold up pretty well it sounds like...

Old 10-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Steel Addict

I got the cheapest bearings they had because I wasn't sure how it would work out so I didn't want to waste money. They are holding up great. I do check them for noise and smoothness. When it is time to replace them I will probably go with a slightly better bearing just because they are not very expensive and the wheels have proven themselves. The wheels also work great as a smaller contact wheel.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icho View Post
I got the cheapest bearings they had because I wasn't sure how it would work out so I didn't want to waste money. They are holding up great. I do check them for noise and smoothness. When it is time to replace them I will probably go with a slightly better bearing just because they are not very expensive and the wheels have proven themselves. The wheels also work great as a smaller contact wheel.
That's brilliant! What width of wheel seems to work best for you? I looked the wheels up on the old interweb and found a bunch. Most were 70mm. That's way bigger than two inches. I don't think that a wide wheel would cause a problem, but I could be wrong...

Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

A 1.5 hp 1725 sealed DC motor is acceptable if you have the matching controller for it. That's exactly what I use except mine is 1 hp. Come to think of it, I have an extra controller for mine ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Skilled

I used skateboard wheels for all my wheels and has worked great so far(5 months). I also used a treadmill motor mounted underneath stand but don't know how long it will last . It's my variable speed Redneck grinder. Good Luck

Austin Colvin

Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

It's really sounding like the skateboard wheels are the way to go with this project. I love it! They're cheap, easily available and tough. I should be able to find a clothes rack, oh, I mean, treadmill easily... Are they sealed motors? I'd assume that they have power to spare. If they can turn that great big belt with someone standing on it, a little 2x72 should be no problem...

Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Steel Addict

PsychoDawg. My wheels are 65mm diameter by 50 wide so you should be able to find them on line or even check out a local skate shop. Worse case try the wider one and cut the width down.

My grinder use to be a clothes rack. .. I mean treadmill. Lol. The motor was not enclosed and I don't think any are. My motor blew up right when I ordered belts (I originally only bought 1 for mock up during the build.) The motor had a tick when it was still a treadmill so I think if I started with a good treadmill motor I would still be using it.I will try to post a pic.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

You guys rock! I'm just trying to get all of this straight on my mind before I start anything. Research then build! I'm actually hacking away on a piece of 1080 with the ole' angle grinder today. Gotta do it in short bursts because the wife and I live in an apartment. We don't need the neighbors griping and any unwanted attention. You guys have been helping me for way longer than you know. I've been lurking for about a year before I signed up...

Lemme see if I got it right...

Clothes rack motor... check
65mmx50mm skateboard wheels... check
A band of tape around the tracking wheel... check (Being a phone guy, we get the awesome tape!)

Would 1 1/2" square tubing for the main structural parts be adequate? Would you guys attach your tensioning spring to the base plate or set it under the tensioning arm? I posted this link. I kinda like the one about halfway down on the first page.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...y-belt-grinder

Old 10-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

About 10 years ago a group of us got interested in tread mill motors as possible power sources for grinders. Won't bore you with the details but, in short, not really as good an idea as it seems at first. They really aren't as strong as you would think they are. We gave up on them pretty quickly ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Steel Addict

PsychoDawg. My wheels are 65mm diameter by 50 wide so you should be able to find them on line or even check out a local skate shop. Worse case try the wider one and cut the width down.

My grinder use to be a clothes rack. .. I mean treadmill. Lol. The motor was not enclosed and I don't think any are. My motor blew up right when I ordered belts (I originally only bought 1 for mock up during the build.) The motor had a tick when it was still a treadmill so I think if I started with a good treadmill motor I would still be using it.

As Ray said the treadmill motor is not as strong as you may think. Mine was rated at 2.25hp but my current motor is at least as strong especially at lower rpm. Here are a couple of pics of my grinder with the treadmill motor set up. I hope the pisc work.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/pi...pictureid=2625
Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icho View Post

My grinder use to be a clothes rack. .. I mean treadmill. Lol. The motor was not enclosed and I don't think any are. My motor blew up right when I ordered belts (I originally only bought 1 for mock up during the build.) The motor had a tick when it was still a treadmill so I think if I started with a good treadmill motor I would still be using it.

As Ray said the treadmill motor is not as strong as you may think. Mine was rated at 2.25hp but my current motor is at least as strong especially at lower rpm. Here are a couple of pics of my grinder with the treadmill motor set up. I hope the pisc work.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/pi...pictureid=2625
That's a pretty slick looking homebuilt rig! Am I overcomplicating this? Wait until I start on a forge... I'll be a royal PITA then! Once I figure out how to post pictures all bets are off. That shouldn't be too bad except for the burner. Insulating a pipe with kaowool/satanite can't be too difficult.

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, art, awesome, bee, build, building, electrical, forge, grinder, helping, how to, kaowool, knife, knives, make, metal, motor, post, problem, project, steel, step by step, wheels