MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

marking methods yellow stencil material ?

I read some place here it was said that there is different stencil material. I have the yellow material from marking methods. Is this the best stuff to use or should I get something different. I am thinking this might be part of my problem of not getting a good clean stencil image. Iv'e tried various volages, and from damp to dry on the felt. Not much left that it could be?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Skilled

I would call MM but I think the one you want is the green.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Steel Addict

how much amperage are you using to do your etching?. It sounds like you are using too much amperage. I have use both the green and the yellow and they both work good. The only time I had problems was the pad too wet, I had to blot it on some tissue, holding the pad on the work too long, or too much amperage. Make sure you practice on the same type material you are going to mark and that you are using the proper solution for the steel you are marking, and are getting a proper ground.
Roland
Old 03-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Living Legend

I did some testing of stencils from various manufacturers a couple years back and it was posted as a sticky in the Supply Forum back when this was CKD. http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...hlight=stencil

In short, while there may be other stencil materials and manufacturers as good as the yellow MM stencils, I doubt you will find any better.

My personal recommendation would be to experiment more with the electrolyte type and the technique. I've been getting great marks with yellow MM stencils for a long time.

Last edited by fitzo; 03-15-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Like Fitz, I have also been using the yellow stencils a long time. In fact, I'm still working from the original set I bought 10 years ago and my marks are as sharp and clear as they should be.

Voltages are not the entire issue. After you have tried the other suggestions Navajas and Fitzo offered concerning solutions, dampness, and experimented with time of exposure and still don't get the mark you want then I would say you need to look at the amperage of your unit. Variable voltage is not the same as variable amperage. Too much power (amperage/voltage combo) is not a good thing in an etching unit.

Since we have no idea where you are we can't suggest anyone in your area, but if there is another maker you know who could demonstrate his marking unit and methods to you and perhaps test yours that could be very helpful....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
knife