MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Steel Addict

I always do grind bare handed, actually the only time I wear gloves is when making my own resin-based handle material. And as far as belts go I just recently switched to all ceramic for all my metal work I prefer them over zirc as I use a lot of stainless alloys so they just don't last well. Then normally once I get done with 320 grit I switch to trizac belts I really like how they finish.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I got the thing roughed out, I didn't spend the time to completely finish the scales and the tang. I basically got it to the point where it can be honed, I didn't want to waste the time making a beautiful straight razor if I can't get it to preform due to bad geometry or something. I can always go back and finish it up, but I wanted a working prototype first. So now I'm waiting on my hones that should be here later this week, super anxious to get to the scary part. That said...

PicsArt_1373329691571.jpg
Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Skilled

Wynn,

that is looking good need a few better photos of it .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Steel Addict

Well like I said it's falling short of pretty right now, and I have a few projects I need to work on so I really want make sure my blade will do the job. My hones I'm hoping will be here by the end of the week (I wish I would have ordered them sooner). So once I can get it acting like a straight razor I'll smooth out the edges and throw it in the light box.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Steel Addict

Little update, still waiting on my hones (says they'll be here by Thursday). Then I will be able to see what I'm really working with. In the meantime, I found myself over at straightrazorplace.com, and let me tell you what, if any of you guys ever consider making a razor, or using one, go to this place. The guys on the forums are incredible and super helpful. I had asked a question over there and presented what I was doing.

Long story short one of the moderators made me an offer I couldn't refuse, this weekend he is sending me a razor that's all honed up and shave ready, so I can see and feel what a razor should feel like. (Setting a bevel, honing, and stropping these things is an ENTIRELY different world). And in return I'm sending him this guy below (with the best job I can do at honing and what not) so as he said can "check out a custom makers blade". I'm thinking more so he can tell me what I'm doing wrong and can fix, which is pretty awesome to get feedback from a "pro".

All that said, I worked this guy up this past week, and it's ready to see some honing!

CR1.jpg

CR Closed.jpg

CR Top.jpg

Edge.jpg
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

QUOTE: (Setting a bevel, honing, and stropping these things is an ENTIRELY different world)

You may recall that I mentioned that fact. But, looks like you're well on your way to getting into that world ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Steel Addict

Yeah, I knew it was much different, although I didn't realize the extent of it I wasn't surprised. And yes I've definitely jumped in head first, and I just get more excited as I go. These things really neat.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Skilled

Hey Wynn ,

Can you help me out with the site you posted I can not get past the captcha thing .

Pm Sent

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Steel Addict

Well, I had my first shave this morning, and it was a GIANT SUCCESS. It was quite comfortable and considering the fact it was the first time I ever used a straight razor so hereto and therefor it was also the first razor I've ever made/honed/stropped the whole deal very satisfied.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. Or maybe you just have one of those featureless faces. Me, I don't have any lips to get in the way but I have a lot of nose and a fair amount of chin. I have enough trouble with a safety razor...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Master

That's looking pretty good man! That blade is so thin! I couldn't imagine trying to grind something like that! Keep up the good work

Old 07-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I suppose i forgot to mention I did cut myself once (mind drifted and slid the blade horizontally, ), and nicked myself once. I also avoided the very tip/under my chin, I figured I was pushing my skills as it was. But other than that, I loved it, I will never shave with anything but a straight razor again.

Metal- It is a little nerv wracking but it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be, I grind 90% of my blades hollow so I have a very good feel for it, but it is very very thin.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Skilled

Its looking really good.
I have been thinking ofmaking one recently.
What size wheel did you grind on? What size is the blade?
I was thinking of getting a 10".wheel and going for a 5/8

Brett

Australian knife maker extraordinaire
Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I've made a hand full at this point. I'm at the point where I've gained just enough experience to somewhat loose myself. I will try to funnel what little knowledge I have that is scattered around in my brain.

I've learned a lot and it's much like learning how to make knives where, there are many aspects to the whole. And while many of them are all up to personal preference and some just don't really matter in the whole scheme of things, there are those few that do (and the one that gets beat like a dead horse here), USABILITY. There are those that buy razors for display, but the ratio compared to knives (as far as I've seen) is far different.

If you can make a knife, especially practiced with hollow grinds, you can make something that looks like a razor. The hard part is getting it sharp as a razor should be which falls into honing, but I won't go into that now.

I've made a couple with a 5" wheel and a couple with an 8" wheel. You can use any wheel really, but I would suggest a smaller wheel and "riding" the grind up and down the blade. That's how I made my first couple with the 5" wheel and it helped me make the more of a hollow grind (full hollow). With the 8" I tended to let it get a little thick for my liking. Now I could talk for pages and pages but like I said I'm trying to keep it short.

I would suggest using an 8" or under for a 5/8-6/8 razor. Both of the razors pictured are right around 5/8 and done with a 5" wheel.

If you have any questions whatsoever feel free to ask, but like I said, I'm not a professional just a guy whos learned alot.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Steel Addict

While we're on the topic... here's the latest one I've made.

440C 6/8 blade mirror finished 1/4 hollow, M3 Volcanic colbaltium scales with stainless hardware.

Volcano Travel.jpg

VT2.jpg

VT3.jpg

Tags
art, bee, blade, design, easy, edge, flat, grinding, handle, hollow grind, horn, knife, knives, made, make, making, material, project, scales, sharp, sharpening, steel, tang, temper, tips