MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-21-2001, 06:32 PM
Navajas

procedure for freezing blade

what is the procedure used in freezing blades after heat treating. I would like to do this myself if it is feasible. I read somewhere that liquid nitrogen is used. What type of container do I need ?. Any help with the specifics will be appreciated. T.I.A.
Roland

Old 08-21-2001, 08:46 PM
Raymond Richard

Roland, to get what you need to do liquid nitrogen is about a $500.00 investment at the least. If your just doing a few knives you'd be better off sending them out for the treatment. Texas Knife Makers offers this service. Ray
Old 08-21-2001, 09:20 PM
kvistads

Roland:
Go find yourself a local dairy. They use the liquid nitrogen for storing semen to breed the cows. Also they use the stuff for freeze branding. Any of the semen suppliers will have it. If you have a thermos on hand if or when you run into one of these guys, they'll probably fill it for nothing. One thermos full might treat a few blades or burn a bunch of warts off of you! Good luck.
Russell
Old 08-22-2001, 06:42 AM
Raymond Richard

Roland, just to let you know liquid nitrogen is something that extreem care should be taken with. I doubt very much if a dairy will fill up a thermos bottle for you. The one time I went to check on it for myself the supplier made it perfectly clear that they would not deliver it unless you had the proper container, in this case a dewer at the very least. Ray
Old 08-22-2001, 05:02 PM
Navajas

liquid nitrogen

Ray, Thank you much for the advice. I will heed your advice and let the pros do that part.
Roland
Old 08-24-2001, 11:38 AM
navajsa

freezing procedure

Hey Russell, thanks for the info. I went to a dairy and they won,t do it . I,ll just send the blades out.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:32 AM
kvistads

Re: freezing procedure

Roland:

No problem for me getting the stuff. Of coarse I work at a dairy where I've been employed the last fifteen years. Also have two good friends who own dairys. We just don't think that much about it but then we handle it on a day to day basis. Maybe the dairymen here in good ole DIXIE are more accommdating than the ones in Oregon! Good luck....
Russ

Tags
blade, knife, knives