MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Steel Addict

My other passion.....

Just wanted to show you guys what my other passion in life is besides making sharp pointy things. I figured many of you are also outdoorsman like myself.

http://i.imgur.com/J7m0zMW.jpg
This is a 40" light phase timber rattlesnake I found today. He makes number 14 for the season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J7m0zMW.jpg (21.6 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-22-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Skilled

Wow, that is a fat one! Brings back a lot of memories! When I was in the Marine Corps stationed in an ammo dump at Camp Pendleton, California I used to catch a lot of rattlers. Tons of them all over that base. I would hold down their head with a stick and pick them up. We milked quite a few of venom just to show my fellow Marines. They thought I was nuts. But all the tarantulas and black widows scared the crap out of me!

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yup, big 'un. I don't bother to kill those though. They aren't very dangerous and they help to control rodents.so unless I need a hat band I leave them alone. But, when I lived in the Mojave I would kill the Mojave Green rattlers when I found one. It was easy to find them because if you got anywhere near one they would come out of hiding to chase you. Much smaller than yours but much more dangerous due to the aggressive attitude and the neurotoxin they carry ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Steel Addict

Actually this one isn't a "legal" size. Gotta be 42" and a male. Last years tag went to a 54" long 8" round light phase. These yellow ones are harder to find around here but for some reason i dont have a problem running into them! This one was the most docile one I've ever seen. Wouldn't rattle or nothing. I like getting pictures of them curled up and this guy just wanted to get away. Ray if I get a nice one this year I'll tan the skin and send it to you if you'd like. I found one last season that had a stripe down the back. 1" under sized. Hopefully he's around this season. He'd make a pretty hat band.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Master

wow ! very cool , we don't have em that big around here !
Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Master

That's awesome! I have only seen a couple snakes in the wild where I live. Nothing dangerous lives around here.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Skilled

Very nice, maybe he was docile cause he knew he was under the limit! Well done sir!

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys. Wish more people enjoyed them like I do. Most people around here want them dead. I ask if they would rather have 1 lil snake or 100 mice in their house? I always get the "are you crazy?" from everyone. No not crazy, but you have to be a bit different to grab a poisonous snake for a photograph!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Skilled

Man he sure is a sweet feller !

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboyle View Post
I figured many of you are also outdoorsman like myself.

http://i.imgur.com/J7m0zMW.jpg This is a 40" light phase timber rattlesnake I found today. He makes number 14 for the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
They thought I was nuts. But all the tarantulas and black widows scared the crap out of me! Tony Z

Uh YES, I do consider myself an outdoorsman but, NO, I don't play with snakes!

To me that is kind of like parachuting, no sense in jumping out of a perfectly good airplane!

We have plenty of the rattlers around here. Eastern Diamondback Rattler! http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...k-rattlesnake/

It is a good idea if you are scouting for deer hunting in late summer to where snake boots and even during the season (Winter) on warm days it is not unheard off to find one out sunning itself!

You want an aggressive poisonous snake here is one, IMO! Cotton Mouth Snake, http://www.cottonmouthsnake.org/ I had one follow me to a tree stand one morning before daylight! I was wading through ankle deep water to get in a tree before daylight and after I got into the tree, it was still dark and I hear something in the water at the base of the tree I was in. I shined a flashlight down there and one of the biggest Water Moccasin's I have ever seen was swimming at the base of the tree I had just climbed. Give me the willies to to think I must have passed very close to him getting in the tree.
However it is not the first time I have had one come after me when near the water, fishing and such! That is usually when he ( the Water Moccasin) doesn't make it home to Mama and the kids that night!

I had a buddy who shot a hole in the bottom of his john boat when one fell out of the tree while he was fishing on the river. He said as soon as he was sure the snake was dead he plugged up the holes and headed for shore. I say holes, as he always kept a sawed off 4/10 in his boat, loaded with buck shot. Snake gun he called it, but he nearly sank himself that day! LOL

I try not to kill snakes but, when we cross paths, I try to give them a healthy margin, so we don't have any misunderstanding!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 06-26-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATalley View Post
Very nice, maybe he was docile cause he knew he was under the limit! Well done sir!
ATalley I like your Avatar knives they look good you have a better shot of them ?

Sorry for High jacking this thread folks ! I just seen his Avatar.

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !

Tags
awesome, back, california, easy, fishing, home, hunting, knives, make, making, man, rat, sharp