MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Steel Addict

Bowie's hammerin- cutting competition

I just got off the phone with Ron and wanted to get everyone up tp speed on the plans. The competition will be a points event this year, instead of a elimination event. The knife size limits will be the same as always. 10" blade, 5" handle and a wrist thong for safety. Almost forgot, 2'' blade width also.

We plan to start with the 2X4 chop. We will not time it, but everyone will have to complete it before being allowed to attempt the other cuts. The edges will also be checked for chips or rolls. We will then cut water bottles, aluminum cans, rope and business cards. This all done for fun and nobody gets to serious. (well, maybe not everyone ) I have not heard of anyone who joined in and did not enjoy it. If anyone has any questions or ideas, please let us know.

Bill Wiggins
Old 09-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Skilled

I might be gunnin' for ya this year Bill. I got one so sharp it looked in the mirror and cut itselt.

Robert
Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Guru

I believe the Finnish Leuku blade will be making another appearance this year, and perhaps something out of my own inventory as well. We will see.

Hammer on!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
I will definitrely bring my spectacles to this event---I don't want to miss anything-----Sandy

Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 AM
Steel Addict

Getting close to the big event!! I am looking foward to seeing everyone. Who is planning on making it to Bowie's? If we could get some kind of a head count on the cutting competition, we can get a head start on material.

Robert, I am hearing a rumor of a damascus bowie in east Tn. that must be as sharp as your knife. Nobody has seen it up close and it is only brought out after the sun goes down. Something about some sort of "blessing from the promise land of X-caliber". Guess we will have to find out at Bowie's.

BTW, Robert- when your knife cut the mirror, any chance that your reflection was in the mirror? Just wondering.......

Bill Wiggins
Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Skilled

Bill, All I can tell at this time is that my knife was forged under a full moon with the anvil pointed due north. I had an 86 year old virgin from the Republic of Lower Alabama that carefully monitered my every move. Every 3 strikes, she would throw her hands into the air and shout something about it needing to be "hotter, harder and faster".

The knife was quenched in the sweat from a horde of northeastern bumble bees. It took quite a number of bees in order to get that much bumble bee sweat. Tempering was accomplished by three-two-hour turns in the oven with Mama's cornbread. Her temperature settings are a well guarded secret.

I don't know how well my knife will cut, as every time I have pointed it at a large sweet-gum tree, the tree simply fell over from fear.

See Ya in a bit.................. Robert
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Steel Addict

Dang....what can I say. I was going to make a new cutter, but now I am wondering if it will be worth the effort. Maybe I will just use one of my old knives.....if I even cut at all.

Just for the record ....I A'int SKEERED
Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Here you go, Wiggins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bill aims.jpg (84.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks, Bill. Had not seen that one. You going to be able to make it?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM

Too soon to tell, Bill.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Steel Addict

Bill your on the money.Their is a mistery damascus Blade being created here in the east Tenn. area that has become notories for creating fear.
I have seen the blade that you speak of and its scary to to behold .
IT ALL STARTED ON A SEPTEMBER NIGHT JUST AFTER DUSK.
I had just retired to my Back porch to rest a bit, 6 beams of light began to appear in my fields all of a sudden three strange beings appeared from the lights. Before I could summoms Cosmo to attack, the forge was burning almost at a strang heat I could hear chants of a tongue that I have never heard before. Bill --I was scared-- all of a sudden I could hear Dr Jekyell screaming ,a sound that to this day makes cold chills run up my back. I finally approached these beings after a few hours and they bound me with Rope and would not let me speak.
They told me if i gave out the type of steel or the method as to is development. They would place a hex on me ,that all my welds would have inclusions in my steel. I ask had they been here before .
I can say that night was the night of all the shooting stars.
COULD IT BE????? hummm

Old 09-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Steel Addict

hey i recall seeing that one in person,sorry to say that i wont be able to attend this year,going to miss out on the fun, Bill swing a little higher this time , Tracy

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Steel Addict

Tracy, say it a'int so!!! Gonna miss ya' buddy. I was counting on borrowing that lucky resin sack of yours. Besides that, your daughter makes up my entire cheering section. If you don't make it, see you at Batson's. Bill
Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Steel Addict

Bowie, I would think it safe to say many strange things happen in east Tn. after dark. Especially around the Thunder Mtn. Forge!!! Cosmo not attacking instantly sounds a little fishy too. (cold blooded killer that he is) I am guessing that Fred and Johnny may be involved as well. The third strange being was probably Grant. Bowie, at your age, I think you are starting to have trouble telling bad dreams and reality apart. I am going to talk to your wife and get to the bottom of this...........
Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 PM

Bill I am looking forward to the cutting compition I had my other eye operated on this past wed.I hope it will be heeled by then if not I will get me some body to perform the duty of cutting for me. There is some thing in the air at thunder mtn. after dark it kidda lights the sky to a bright orange glow. It like some magical spell,It even looks like damacus evening oh by the way I will be coming to N.C. to compete in the roadeo. Hope to see all at the hammer in Bowie sure has some great tallent lined up this year.
God Bless
Johnny Allred

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives