MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-21-2001, 10:46 PM
helmar4578

(cont.) Dyeing background

flip or cast dye where it is not wanted. This can really ruin your day! Bristles are stiffer and will flip or cast dye several inches! You will not mind the cost of the Sable and Camel hair brushes after you have seen a day's work shot to hellangone! Sandy
Old 12-23-2001, 07:27 PM
DC KNIVES

Thanks Sandy,just an added tip that I use.I pour a small amount of dye into a plastic film cannister lid ( 35mm) and put the dye away.It won't tip over and when done any residual dye will dry and then can be peeled out leaving it nice and clean.Good luck,Dave.
Old 12-24-2001, 10:19 AM
Gary W Graley

Man do I HATE that when it happens!
I trim my one brush down to almost 2 or three strands of fine hair to do the borders in a large area and I agree a stiff brush can ruin your day!

Good tip on the canister idea! I have come TOO close before with concentration on the work and not where the dye bottle is and ALMOST knocked it over, my wife just despises me when I mess up the table!

I use the dye very sparingly when coming up to the edge of another colour, as the dye can soak up and under if you apply too much, it can submarine as one guy told me. I do some accents in red and green from time to time and you don't want black to wander up from beneath so apply that brush lightly near the borders. Also I have found that carving/cutting the leather with a swivel knife helps to make a breach that the dye doesn't want to cross so easily, but no matter what it still is a pain! but it does look nice when finished.

G2
Old 12-24-2001, 10:35 AM
DC KNIVES

G2,Welcome to the CKD.No doubt your expertise will be highly valued here as well as your pleasant personality.If you all don't know,Gary makes some of the finest folder sheaths around.Dave
Old 12-24-2001, 03:07 PM
helmar4578

Re: Gary Graley--my friend!

When I first entertained the idea of joining several knife related forums to share some of the knowledge I have obtained over many decades of destroying cowhide, it was the attitude of Gary that made it a certainty. His cooperation in getting my efforts off the ground and proffered friendship so generously offered has forever put him in the classification of "Friend". I hope I am not too presumptious in welcoming him to this forum to which I have only recently been welcomed myself!!! His knowledge and congeniality would be welcomed anywhere! Sandy
Old 12-24-2001, 04:37 PM
Gary W Graley

Thanks fellas!!

Thanks for the very warm welcome!
I certainly appreciate the kind words and will help all who have questions and want to learn, as I know that Sandy would certainly do the same! Sometimes I think that the leathercraft has fallen into history somewhat, not a favoured art, more knife makers than leathersmiths so we need to prop up the others and share the knowledge. I've only been working with leather a short time compared to some but will lend what knowledge I have!

Merry Christmas and thanks again for the warm welcome!
G2
Old 12-27-2001, 11:51 AM
JerryO13

Re: Thanks fellas!!

G2 welcome aboard! I've seen (read) you on the other forums and your very welcome here.

Tags
blade, knife