MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Enthusiast

Washers

Hi all,

I am busy making my first folding knife, it will be a linerlock. I have 1 question for you. I have to make a cut in my teflon washers so the lock can still move, but that meens that after i make the cut, the washer is not allowed to turn (move) between the lemet and the liner. So i have to stick it to the liner. How can i do this the best way????

Thanks in advance,

Franco
Old 02-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Franco!

Try using Fletching adhesive like they use to glue feathers (fletching) onto metal arrow shafts, works real good and wont build up much thickness on the washer suface.

I have made a few knives that my standard washer was bigger than it needed to be... But once you figure out your designs you can always figure a standard sized washer and design your knife around that so you dont have to cut them anymore...

Hope the glue helps!

Alan
Old 02-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The easiest and most reliable way I have found is to simply make the washer on that side of the knife as small as it needs to be for the lock to clear it. Tweaking the geometry (refinement as you make more folders) will eventually allow you to have a fairly large washer in that side of the knife. I've made hundreds of liner lock folders and have never had the slightest problem from using a smaller washer on one side.

I have, however, had problems using teflon for washers. Personally, I find it to be a bad choice for liner lock washers. You might want to try nylotron instead. Nylotron washers are available pre-cut from Sheffield's Knife Supply and in strips from MSC where it is sold under the name Nylon 6/6 w/Molybdenum ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Master

My thoughts exzctly Ray! Well said about sizing the washer and also about using teflon. It may be slippery material but it does compress so easily. The nylatron and also phosforbronz work very well Frank

Old 02-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your respons guys, i will try the smaller washer first if thats to small i will stick a bigger one to the liner with glue.

Thanks,

Franco

Tags
folding knife, knife, knives