MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Misternatural?

Which brings me to my next point. I'm not so sure it's possible to completely remove the burr. Maybe it just gets smaller and smaller, so teeny tiny that we don't even know it's there. Maybe it's just the honing "flake" that's coming off, not the burr itself. Maybe the burr IS the frigging edge!

... but probably not. hee hee

Some of y'all are just too set in your ways. I like variety, to try different things, to take chances, to LEARN new things. I get bored doing things the same way all the time and just following the pack. If a course burred edge works great for slicing a tomato, why go to the extra trouble to polish and strop it? It makes no sense. If a burred edge pulls hair and bites into the flesh when shaving, then strop it off. It's just common sense. Like I said in the beginning, it depends what you are cutting. I'm for the least expenditure of energy to accomplish a given task, efficiency.

One good way to set up the edge is with a very fine burr that will abrade away through normal use and leave an edge equivalent to a stropped edge.

Efficiency over habit.

Last edited by Misternatural?; 10-20-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Living Legend

thanks everyone,i have enjoyed this thread very much and what ive learned (for the thousendth time) is there are many different ways to skin a cat but always make sure the knifes sharp

p.s. i agree about if the edge is to hard to sharpen then it wont get sharpened, its one of the many reasons i dont do stainless.not knocking you stainless guys,to each their own.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Misternatural?

You can always go back to the belt grinder and the stropping.

... give the hand stones another try, and try a much lighter touch towards the end...

...or plan on carrying a belt grinder and a strop along with you at all times. I think everyone needs a belt grinder in their kitchen,... and everywhere they go.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Master

ah yes , the belt grinder . i use mine for knives , removing wood on arrows , long bows , all kinds of gun work , golf clubs , and any number of other jobs . i think it's the most used piece of equipment i own - wouldn't be without it . paul

http://www.phforge.com

Old 10-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Master

Quote:
I think everyone needs a belt grinder in their kitchen
Just think how finely you could shred carrots!

Old 10-22-2004, 06:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
...........If elected I promise a belt grinder for every kitchen and blower for every charcoal grill!

People worry about investing in a good knife grinder in case they ever stop making knives. Paul is right, they are adapt themselves to almost any craft. As an investment they don't seem to lose much value , if any, if you need to re-sell.

Nothin beats my Nicholson porti- mill tho.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

It is amazing how many other uses power tools can have. Really, the same applies to hand tools. (Remember the old rule: If there is no hammer nearby, then the largest tool within reach becomes a hammer.) That air compressor my wife whined about me buying really gets the charcoal going in the BBQ pit! I can't tell you how many things (not including my fingers) that I've touched up on the belt grinder.

'Course, the flip side is also true - you can misuse power tools. My bro'-in-law decided to use his circular saw to trim his bushes. Ooooh! Bad idea! Looked like they had been attacked by a stampede of buffalo by the time he was done.

Somebody gave me a Sears wet sharpener some years ago and (foolishly) I tried to use it. Besides the stone being out of round, it was the equivalent grind that you would get using 50 grit sandpaper. I did get $5 for it at a garage sale, so I guess I can't complain.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Misternatural?

I was just kidding about the belt grinders.

I sold mine about 6 years ago and haven't missed it a bit, I guess I never really needed it to begin with. My work has actually improved without it. I'm way better off in every way. It was an obnoxious machine,... dang near destroyed my life.

Life is good again.

LIBERATION FROM THE BELT GRINDER NOW !!!

Last edited by Misternatural?; 10-22-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Misternatural?

... you see folks, getting rid of the belt grinder forces you to use your brain, be less wasteful, less dependant and be more efficient. It will force you to become a better hammer, rasp and stone man. You'll feel more like a real bladesmith. The genuine article.

I was never "proud" of using a belt grinder as a crutch.

It feels much better this way.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Hall of Famer

I get a great deal more satisfaction with a hammer file and charcoal.

Nicholeson Mill and Bits

click4pic

Old 10-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Master

a belt grinder is just another tool that takes a skill to operate , just like a hammer , file , or rasp . there are many things i make that don't require a hammer , file , or rasp . if i'm to have the time to make knives , guns ,bows , arrows , holsters and sheaths , etc , and still particapate in all the shooting and hunting sports i like - belt grinders , disk sanders , power hammers , presses , mills , drill presses and the like are necessary . i forge knives because i enjoy it , but i'm not against useing those power tools i've also learned to use to help build or finish them . i've set up at gun and knife shows for 14 years , and 95% of the buyers don't care how it was made, but how it looks and performs . i've made knives completely by hand ,no power tools , and most people could care less . i don't make fun of someone who does stockremoval , same as i wouldn't belittle someone who does it just with a hammer , file , and rasp . and i wouln't call anyone less abladesmith if power tools are used . paul

Old 10-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Master

sure glad i don't have to use my brain to use any of those power tools i own , i step up and that grinder just grinds blades all by itself . and to be " the genuine article " - is there a requirment to what size hammer i use , or type ? same with files - single cut ,double , flat , round , 1/2 round or triangluar ? i knew something was missing all these years , i was calling myself a bladesmith and i'm not the real " genuine article " . learn something new everyday . paul

Old 10-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Hall of Famer

I got it good. I can make what I want when I want. If I start a project and lose interest, I can lay it down and return to it a year later or never. Unplugged is just a skill that someone chooses to learn for their own satisfaction. Sometime, I would like to go out to the dump or junkyard and find everything I needed and make a knife on the spot. When I first started trying to learn unplugged, I would get frustrated and feel guilty if I had to use power to straghten out my errant hammer work. I told Tai how I felt and he told me it was not cheating, that any combination of plugged unplucgged was fine and just a means to an end. He said the most importnt part was to enjoy the process, no matter what method you use. Those few words lifted a weight from my shoulders. I have since learned to make a knife totally unplugged, for my own satisfaction. Now mostly, I still use a combo of both and don't feel guilty one bit. HeeHee. I don't make fun of stockremovers, but it IS fun to lure them over to the darkside. Buwaaaahahaha.
Wouldn't it be cool to have a T.V. show or make a video like junkyard wars? "Bladesmith Wars".....

Old 10-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Guru

I envy those of you that can Forge to the percentage you do. Im still learning and having a blast doing so but I do have to agree with Paul......That belt grinder sure is fun and ive made some neat things with its help. It sure helps to have all those fun tools around, get bored doing one thing .......move to the next. I hope some day I can forge half as good as both Paul and Tai but definatelly dont plan on gettin rid of my grinder, in fact plan on buying another soon.

I confronted a good friend (bladesmith) and discussed the issue about when I can call it a forged knife. Ive realized with his help that it definatelly isnt the point. Make a great knife and make some end user very happy, who cares how you made it. You make it the way you do because you want to and you enjoy doing it that way, not because it will help it sell.

Take Tai and Steve Johnson for example. Both do very different things, one forges...one stock removal but both do work that most of us dream of doing and neither has a problem selling a knife.

No offense to anyone just my two cents.

Im with Roc....Bladesmith wars would be cool.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 10-23-2004, 09:52 AM

It looks like this thread is turning into another grinder verses forger thread, Who really cares how the knifes made as long as it cuts when you need it. I like both.

If I had a grinder I'd grindher in the morning
If I did'nt id grindher anyway

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives