MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Registered

washers

I, just got my kit today and when I open it up there was not any washers with it. How can I fix this
Thanks
Old 01-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Steel Addict

WOW that stinks,see if they will send ya a set ,wherever ya got the kit from.If not the lid of the swiffer box works as a temporary fix. Use the pivot as the template,that will give you the ID(inside diameter) of the hole for the pivot,just make the OD(outside diameter)3/16" bigger around.So you end up with a green plastic donut.Also works as green spacing material too.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:05 AM
Steel Addict

Just shoot an email to Alex and they'll hook you right up. Check on the knifekits website for the email address.
Dan

Check out my custom pens!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrathlord
If not the lid of the swiffer box works as a temporary fix.

So you end up with a green plastic donut.Also works as green spacing material too.
Swiffer box?? What the....???:confused:

Always frustrating, but you don't need them until final assembly. There's plenty to do in the meanwhile.

You'll be taken care of immediately, if you shoot an email to Alex at KnifeKits or Darrel. Or your supplier (I would think).

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Steel Addict

yup you heard me right,the thickness of the box lid is identical to the nylon/teflon washers,I mentioned it only as a TEMPORARY fix,untill the washers he needs arrive.I will also add that if the QC was better ,this would not have happened at all.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Wes,

We're very sorry that your kit was missing it's original washer set, however we have a clear policy about replacements. If you're missing something on a product that we sell or manufacture, let us know right away and we'll get it fixed the same day, regardless of the dealer which you purchased it from. I can't really address the quality control comment as I've been in business too long to try. If the space shuttle can blow up after all those rocket scientists worked it over a million times, then I'm pretty certain that we can miss a set of washers too.

However ...

We do not recommend using box tops for your washer material, even though the thickness may be similar. I say this because a box lid was not designed to perform like a washer and will not have the same wear characteristics. Since it's the only wear part on the knife, it's the one place where you don't want to cut corners. Missed washers or not, let us help you with a professional solution. Let us get some out to you so you can be certain that you have the right material where it counts the most.

I was unable to figure out who you were by your profile to see if you bought the kit from us, or what model you had this problem with. Please e-mail me at sales@knifekits.com with the model and shipping info and we'll get you some out today. We'll include a full replacement screw set for your trouble.

Fair enough?

Thanks
Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Steel Addict

Cool ,Wes gets what he PAID for,and a gratuity,,,nice. As for Alex,well this ain't the place,but the shuttle blew up because of a failure of what??? THE O_RINGS,and why???? POOR QUALITY CONTROL at the manufacturer.So your point is ????????? Maybe the lid Idea was taking creative thinking too far,but it was an offer of help,a suggestion,he still can exercise his free will and choose to ignore it.As for the purpose of the washer,please will ya,those are nylon washers no different than the nylon in anything else,no secret material being used there.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:34 PM

I'm still wundering what a 'swiffer box' is.....:confused:

wrathlord,

Your post WAS informative and in the good attitude of helpfullness that we here in the CKD utilize all the time. Thanks for that, it was cool.

The entire CKD is a different forum. Different in that we *try* to be a little more civilized and slower on the trigger to point our guns.

I don't think your second post about the QC was at all in the spirit of the CKD--and certainly not welcome in this particular forum, where Alex and Darrel have made HUNDREDS of members quite happy with these inexpensive products. Why the bashing?

Whether it's QC involving a space-age part, or a simple kit knife there's ALWAYS a human being on the other end of the line. One, like you and me, that can make a mistake. I think someone over the Pacific ocean simply missed that washers in the bag. Sh*t happens. I generally get about 4-6 EXTRA screws in my kits these days, after there was a cry to include them. Alex and Darrell saw to that.

Alex did what he always does in these instances--offers an immediate replacement. I could see this coming.

Do I side with you about the washers being suitable? Yeah, I could make them work. I'm wit'cha. But if it was your product, you'd be inclined to answer in the same way--to protect your image and quality. I know I would. So go easy there, too.

Didn't mean to make a project out of this, and I like you and your posts. Keep them coming. (Someday share your name with us, though, huh?? )

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-10-2003, 08:46 PM

Wrathlord,
We do the very best we can to make sure that the kits and all of our products are quality.
As for the washers in a knife use what you want.

At this point I feel that we at knifekits.com have taken care of the situation with our customer service.

This situation has ended.

We are all here to have a good time and build kits. Lets stay on track.

Personally I find your plastic lid idea a good fix for a day or two.
We do prefer that folks use the right parts with kits however.

Your welcome here as long as you stay within the guidelines of the forum. Lets talk building kits.

Last edited by Darrel Ralph; 01-10-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Wrathlord,

For someone to "get what they PAID for" was never in question with our company. I'm not even sure why that came up. I don't have to brag about what our company's policies are, or what we stand for, everyone knows this already.

The "gratuity", as you call it, has nothing to do with paying off a problem. It has to do with the contingency of someone buggering up the screws when they remove them to get at the pivot to install the replacement washers. This is not a "gift", but what a professional expert (Darrel Ralph) recommends that we do as the (OEM) designer of the product. We didn't mean to create the problem being discussed here, but we certainly won't magnify it with the solution, either.

Again, I'm sure your recommended material works great for you, but we have 1000's of potential readers here that may be influenced by the recommendations they find here. The tolerances we design into the products we manufacture are precise within our designs and fit our specifications to the preferred level the "we" desire, as the producers. We can not, and will not, endorse anything less than this standard to our clients, packaging mistakes or not. At the end of the day, it's the performance of the knife that counts. What our clients actually "pay" for is this knowledge and the product that represents it in their hands.

Yes, I'm very aware of the shuttle's issue. That's why I used it. It's a perfect example of a similar situation where the best minds in the world were humbled by a 50 cent part.

This forum is for the discussion of all kits, ours included. We welcome everyone to use it for any questions they have and we will attempt to solve them. However, relative to a missing or irregular part that we are responsible for, the most effective solution is to contact us directly so that we can verify your purchase and take care of you as soon as possible. That's been our M.O. from day one has has not changed, to the best of my knowledge .

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Steel Addict

sorry

Tags
knife