MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Stein
New guy here

Hi guys.
I have been making knives for a some years now. And have recently really wanted to try my hand at making the Loveless patterns. I was so lucky that a knifemaker friend of mine had a copy of some of the original patterns lying in his shop. So i am currently making a small batch of a dixon fighter, hideout, dropped hunter and a stiffhorn. So far the finishgrinding of the hideout and the dixon is kicking my ass.
But i will get a hang of it i hope.

I know that some of you guys have actually been working with Bob and Jim. My question is, is it ok to try and make their designs? My idea is that i will try my best to get as close to the originals. ( although i know that is not gonna happen). But it gives me a goal in my knifemaking. And i find myself not trying to take shortcuts, like maybe leave a scratch, which could happen on my own designs.

I hope it is ok to post here. I?ll probably be back with more knife related questions in the future.

By the way. I dont know if there is some of you that live in europe. But i seem to have a really hard time finding 416 ss here. I am currently making brass guards. but i would rather make them out of 416. and the ss i can find here is gumming up my files. and are impossible for me to work with.

Cheers
Michael Stein

Here is a picture of the stiffhorn i just finished. blade is ats-34 and the handle is walnut burl.

Tags
ats-34, back, bee, blade, brass, burl, fighter, files, forge, guards, hand, handle, how to, hunter, knife, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, made, making, post, scratch, shop, small, walnut