MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Skilled

A couple of sheaths

Here are a couple of sheaths I just completed. Knives are shown just for illustrative purposes.
The first one is all Harry

This one has a good bit of Sandy's influence.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Skilled

I like that wrap around retention strap, Harry. Is it part of the wedge welt also?

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Skilled

I used to make it part of the welt, but it didn't work out too well if the knife had a double guard. I now cut off one side of the back piece of leather that forms the front of the belt loop, and replace it with the strap. That puts the strap behind the top guard which makes it easier to wrap over the guard and around the handle. Looking from the side you will have the back of the sheath, the tapered end of the back forming the belt loop tucked behind the welt on one side and the tapered to match strap on the other. The full thickness welt on top of that and then the front piece of the sheath. It keeps the outside smooth. To remove the knife just pop the snap and pull the handle. The strap unwraps on the guard and stays away from the edge so it will never get cut. When replacing the knife, the strap is on the front edge of the sheath and away from the edge of the knife. The strap can be easily wrapped and resnaped with one hand. The snap is facing backwards so it is less likely to be unsnapped by brush or gear on your belt. I spent an afternoon looking for a Randall knife that got pulled from the sheath when the forward facing snap got opened and I did not realize it. I just read this and it's not real clear. When I reread your question, I realized I could have just said no. If you want, I'll take a few pictures as I do the next one.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Skilled

I did understand your explaination and it's a heck of a good idea. I particularly like the fact that it is one hand and stays out of the way......and it looks pretty darn good too!

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 11-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Paul, my friend, I hope that you are fortunate enough to meet the Mathews twins some day---just a couple more of my adopted sons!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Guru

Nice work Harry.Sandy, you are sure getting a big family.Way to go Pop. Dave
Old 11-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the comments guys. I didn't see them before the crash. I wish that I could claim the idea of the wrap strap as my own. It just works so good for that type of knife sheath and is easy to do. I have been using it since the middle 1970's. I also wish that I knew what book I saw the picture in so that I could give proper credit. I can only claim the sense to adopt an idea that I thought was a better way of doing it. I remember that it was a leatherworking book and not knife related.

The best news I have gotten in a long time is being claimed as an adopted son by Sandy. The man is a real treasure. He doesn't mind taking a hard headed, stubborn, set in his ways, flatlander into his shop/home and trying for hours to teach him something useful. I got to admit, some of him wears off on you and you just feel better after having been around him. Before he and his ?band of brothers? are through, they'll have me tooling leather again after a 40 year lapse. Thanks Sandy, it is an honor.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 PM

I always tell everyone I got the idea from you, Harry, so I don't have to explain it away. Simple to do and very secure.
Yeah, being around Pop is like that, what a place to soak up knowledge! Guess we're going to have to start calling the place the Morrissey Orphanage and Hostel.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Steel Addict

Guys, what Harry said about Sandy goes for me as well. I really appreciate the time the masters spend with those of us that are less experienced but want to be better. I don't think I can say it better than Harry did, I just hope that some of Sandy's attitude wears off on me too.

www.twinxblades.com
Director Knifemakers Guild

Old 01-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered

Can you show a picture of the back of the top sheath with the retaining strap. I am interested in how you have the retaining strap tied into the the sheath. Bye the way both sheaths are very nice.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Skilled

Big Smitty, showing the back won't show how I have the strap attached. I am going to be making one today and I will take a few pictures while I am doing it to show the construction. I try to get them posted tonight. It is not hard to do but ending up with the strap behind the guard is important if it is a knife with a double guard.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Skilled

I took some pictures while I was making a "wrap strap" sheath this afternoon that I hope will clarify how the sheath is made. I did this because I have had a number of questions about this and it is easier to show it than it is to explain it sometimes. I am sorry for the quality of the pictures. I didn't get out the light box, I just snapped them on the bench as I was working.

This first picture shows the components laid out hair side up for a right hand sheath.

This picture shows the belt loop folded over with the right side cut off to make room for the strap. Both the strap and the end of the belt loop will be skived to a taper. At this point the edges have been finished on the strap and belt loop, snap attached and our logo has been stamped on the back.

This photo shows the strap lying under the welt on the same level as the end of the belt loop that is tucked into the sheath. The inside of the strap is facing forward with the hair side facing back. This creates a sheath that is smooth on all exposed surfaces. The front of the sheath in the background has had a snap installed, and lined with deer skin to protect the blade from the snap.

The edge of the sheath shows the stack of leather. The back of the sheath, the strap, the welt, the deer skin liner (this will be shaved so that it does not show when the sheath is stitched up) and the front of the sheath.

The sheath prior to stitching.

The back of the sheath.

Checking the fit of the knife to the sheath prior to stitching.

All that is left is stitching, finishing up the edges and applying a finish.

Tags
blade, knife, knives