MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Skilled

Well, here is my contribution. I'll put it in the mail tomorrow to hammerdownnow. Description with too much detail follows the pictures.

It's my style because it's all historically plausible materials (circa a thousand years ago) and a historically inspired blade shape. The blade is new spring steel of unknown composition, forged some but mostly hand filed and hand sanded to a convex profile. The grip core is antique old-growth heart pine under a linen cord wrap that is treated with pine pitch a la Tai's recipe. The serving on the cord and the thread stitching the sheath are also linen, with two different colors and diameters of twine used. The tang is set in the wood with cutler's resin and riveted through a nickel silver pommel plate (sorry, didn't have any real silver ) and the guard is pewter cast in place. The sheath leather is treated with a beeswax and linseed oil mixture and sealed with a thin coat of pitch. The rings on the sheath are bronze (I think) designed for an edge-up seax-style carry in which the braided leather cord goes through a belt and is secured through the lower ring with a half hitch. The sheath is a tight friction fit that holds the knife in place almost too well.

Hope you enjoy it.

Michael "NT Chicken Smokin'" Matthews
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
Any of you guys know where JMule is? I cant find him on the Members list. I hate imposing, but Im just too excited to stay silent.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Registered

Thanks Mike, she's a beauty!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Guru

OK...finally got the pics loaded. Here's mine going out to Anthony:

Old 09-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nwknight
Ccoooooooolllll

NT Wheeze'n Wolf Miller
Old 10-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Skilled

knife arrived!

Back to the top, so the photos on this thread can complement the ones on the other kith thread. Must be nearly enough to make a kith album now. That said...

Bravo Colin KC!

Your knife was waiting for me when I got home from work this afternoon. Love it! Love it! Love it! I've just been pulling it out of the sheath, staring at it, putting it back. I even carried it around the house a while on my belt. My son saw the package and before I even opened it he was asking me if it was a sword. For him, it certainly is (he's 4). I let him hold it for a minute, good thing his mom was at work It's nearly a sword for me too, I thought you meant the length was 12 inches total, but it's actually a 12 inch blade (2 inches wide) with another 5 inches of handle. That's a handful. Very nice job on the sheath too, it's a perfect fit. I really like the subtle curve you put in the false edge and the clip is long and wicked too so the design elements really go well together. Did I mention I love it? I'll bring it to the next hammerin I go to (probably can't make it to Bowie's but hopefully to Harley's place next spring) so some of you other Outpost folks can see it in person.

Thanks again Colin, and to Chris for putting the kith together this time.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
I got mine in the mail a little while ago, but havent been able to post about it because of computer troubles. John Myles, You did a superb job. I love it. the damascus really works well with the antler handle.

Thanks a bunch john!

chris

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives